Help with wiring a Superflo VS pump to my iAquaLink 2.0 Control Panel

jestric

Apr 26, 2019
Saint Augustine, FL
Hello,

New member from Saint Augustine, FL who purchased a home with pool automation already installed. I upgraded the control panel to the iAquaLink 2.0 a couple of months ago, and just swapped the pool pumps (i.e., removed the single speed pump and installed the Superflo VS pump I already owned).

Knowing that the Search feature is your friend, I tried to find an answer by searching the forums but I was not successful. My question is as follows; how do I wire the Superflo VS pump (using the Superflo VS Digital input cable) to my AquaLink control panel in order to control it via the iAquaLink 2.0 App?

Thank you for advice and assistance.

Well, I was mistaken. Unused AUX inputs does not equate to unused relays in the panel. ;) My project is back open hold until the new relays arrive.

I do have another question relating to this project. Once it's wired with all four relays, is it treated like four separate pumps or is there a way to associate the various speeds with various functions (i.e., the spa, the pool heater, etc.)?

Thank you again. (y)

Last edited:
Joe,

I am not an AquaLink guy, so not sure.. This is way we always recommend using the same brand of pump as the automation, so that they can communicate smoothly...

Let me see if I can find an AquaLink guy for ya..

Jim R.

Jim,

The further I go down this rabbit hole the more I understand the recommendation for the same brand of pump as your automation. If I didn't already have the SuperFlo VS I wouldn't have tried to mix and match brands. Interestingly, it does seem that AquaLink has made provisions for the IntelliFlo VS pump in their software, just not the SuperFlo VS. :unsure:

Thank you for trying to find an AquaLink guy. It is greatly appreciated!

Joe S.

Joe,

The SuperFlo pump has no ability to communicate with even Pentair's own automation.. It seems to me to be an awful design decision on Pentair's part.. The pump itself is great, but you just can't communicate with it via a serial com bus..

I sent out a couple of feelers, but I see so far no response.. ?

Jim R.

You can turn on/off the Superflo with the Aqualink but will not be able to control speed settings with it. You would wire as usual into the Aqualink pump relay. Make sure the only connection you make is to the electrical relay. Contact an electrician if you are uncomfortable with this.

Jim explained to me how that pump works with relay connections. So long story short, I do believe you can do what you propose. Each aux port can have a relay plugged into it. JVAs do not require a relay but they still can be connected to a relay port (actually you plug the relay into the aux port). So you simply make sure a relay is in the aux port you are assigning to a JVA and the relay will be energized when you select that JVA function. I'll go out and take a picture of my panel at lunch to help show how this works.

Here are some pics. I also confirmed when you activate the JVA the relay energizes even if nothing is connected to it. You can see in the bottom left 2 relays nothing is connected to them. These are my 2 JVA aux ports.

20190503_111447.jpg20190503_111539.jpg20190503_111603.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

Thank you for the information concerning the fact that the SuperFlo pump has no ability to communicate with even Pentair's own automation.

PoolGate,

Thank you for your reply and especially the pictures. Although I'm comfortable doing the work, I'm starting to wonder if there's any real benefit that is worth the time and effort (I'm thinking probably not). I was really hoping that the iAquaLink would adjust the SuperFlo speeds as needed for the various functions.

Right now I leave the filter pump circuit always energized via the iAquaLink and allow the SuperFlo to run the schedule I've programmed into it (which is starting to look like a better choice more and more).

I'll need to think more about whether or not it's worth doing before I actually order the relays.

Jim,

Thank you for the information concerning the fact that the SuperFlo pump has no ability to communicate with even Pentair's own automation.

PoolGate,

Thank you for your reply and especially the pictures. Although I'm comfortable doing the work, I'm starting to wonder if there's any real benefit that is worth the time and effort (I'm thinking probably not). I was really hoping that the iAquaLink would adjust the SuperFlo speeds as needed for the various functions.

Right now I leave the filter pump circuit always energized via the iAquaLink and allow the SuperFlo to run the schedule I've programmed into it (which is starting to look like a better choice more and more).

I'll need to think more about whether or not it's worth doing before I actually order the relays.

Have you checked to see if you already have the relays in your panel? Mine came with all those you see accept for 1. If they are already there it would be a simple matter to connect them like Jim outlined.

Not to mention they are cheap. -> Amazon.com: Zodiac R0658100 3-HP Relay with Harness Replacement Kit for Select Zodiac Jandy Pool and Spa Power Control System: Garden & Outdoor

PoolGate,

I did check after my cable arrived and every relay is being used.

Thank you for the link. I knew they were inexpensive, but other than being able to control the speeds remotely when I want I'm not sure of the real benefit.

I was hoping that once it was installed it could be associated with the various pool functions like the spa, filter pump, when the heater is running, etc. I've looked through the iAquaLink setup menu and don't see anyway to make this happen unless it is an ePump, or a IntelleFlo VS pump.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks again,

Joe S.

PoolGate,

I did check after my cable arrived and every relay is being used.

Thank you for the link. I knew they were inexpensive, but other than being able to control the speeds remotely when I want I'm not sure of the real benefit.

I was hoping that once it was installed it could be associated with the various pool functions like the spa, filter pump, when the heater is running, etc. I've looked through the iAquaLink setup menu and don't see anyway to make this happen unless it is an ePump, or a IntelleFlo VS pump.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks again,

Joe S.

You could actually create a macro for those functions as long as you have an open aux port to assign to that relay. In addition, any time a JVA (automatic) valve is activated, you don't need a macro for the speed just plug a relay into that JVA aux port.

jm-jpg.99632

I see how it works very simple. You just put 1 color, say green, and the red wire connected to the first 2 terminals on an open relay. Then plug that relay into the aux port of the JVA you want the speed key'd to. When that JVA is active, that speed will activate. When the JVA is turned off, it will go back to where it was before. If you have another JVA you want a custom speed for, same thing choose another color, say yellow, and red again, and connect to the first 2 terminals of another open relay and connect that relay to the appropriate JVA aux port. Easy peasy!

relay.jpg

Hi Jestric, I hope your setup worked as you intended. I am in the same boat with a SuperFlo VS Pump already installed.I have a Raypak 6450ti heat pump and a CircuPool Salt System. My Pool has a SPA that shares the pump/filter/ Salt System. I am looking to add Pool Automation. Choices I am looking at are

1. Jandy IQ-904PS
2. Waterway Oasis
3. Hayward Omnihub

All these options are are between $800 and $1100.

I wanted to ask you if you send a picture of your install. I wam intrested in seeing how many relays / Aux Ports did you end up using to control SuperFlo VS.

I am looking to start another thread to compare the 3 automation systems above to see how many relays / valve auctuators / Control ports are available on each.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.