Help with vacuuming or draining to waste

Fraculator

Aug 9, 2019
HUNTINGTN STA, NY
20200519_103830.jpg
20200519_103816.jpg20200519_103803.jpg
Here are pictures of my pentair sand filter with t push pull valve and pipes. When I did my chemical test on my pool, my CYA level is about 100 so I wanted to drain and refill slightly to help balance that out. Either through backwash draining or vacuuming to waste, the latter is preffered as my pool is pretty green and I'd like to vacuum out some algea. I dont really understand how it works with my plumbing though. I closed my bottom drain valve, set the plunger down to backwash, and hooked my vacuum to the skimmer. No suction. Then when I set the filter to filter mode, I get the normal amount of suction. Another issue I have is we dont have sewers and I when I backwash normally, the water doesnt drop really at all even when I run it in intervals of 5 minutes. I cant find where the previous owner plumbed the backwash water to go but I think it's a dry well somewhere on the property. I'm going to try some bioactive to see if I can reduce the CYA levels that way, but I'd like to figure out these backwash issues for the future. Any tips on the above would be very much appreciated as I'm pretty stumped. Thanks in advance!

F,

I agree with Marty, don't waste you money on Bioactive, it does not work for 99% of those members that have tried it..

If this were my pool, I would install a 3-way Jandy valve between the pump and the filter. This would allow you to vacuum to waste. You could plumb a soft roll-up hose on the output of the Jandy valve and run it downhill from your pool.

If your CYA is over 100 you will to drain at least 50% of your water and I suspect it is much higher than 100, so that means more than 50%.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Fraculator
F,

I agree with Marty, don't waste you money on Bioactive, it does not work for 99% of those members that have tried it..

If this were my pool, I would install a 3-way Jandy valve between the pump and the filter. This would allow you to vacuum to waste. You could plumb a soft roll-up hose on the output of the Jandy valve and run it downhill from your pool.

If your CYA is over 100 you will to drain at least 50% of your water and I suspect it is much higher than 100, so that means more than 50%.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the responses! You say between the pump and the filter, do you mean the pipe that is coming out the top of my pump? I was planning on placing a salt chlorinator somewhere on that pipe as well so maybe I'll just replumb all this in one shot if that is the pipe feed your talking about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.