Help with troubled SWCG

Jun 6, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I need some help with my SWCG. I have an Eco-matic ESC24 with the original cell that has served me well for 14 years. That’s a long time for a cell isn’t it?

The system is running sporadically and I don’t know if it’s the controller, the cell or both. Sometimes it will produce and the display shows 100 but most of the time both red lights are on and there are no numbers.

I usually run the display at 100% and use a timer to control how long it’s on. I usually run it four times a day for 3 hours each for a total of 12 hours at 100% per day.

I've been adding liquid chlorine until I get this resolved.

I don’t know weather to buy a new cell or just get a new system. I don’t have a lot of space for the cell. The controller is in the shed.

If it’s best to buy a new system any advice would be appreciated!

Here are my current readings. Any suggestions on these would also be appreciated.

FC 2.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 110
CH 50
CYA 60
Salt 3800
Temp 82

Our pool 001.jpgOur pool 002.jpgOur pool 008.jpg

Last edited:
You should supplement with liquid chlorine and keep your FC up following the FC/CYA Levels until you get your SWG working reliably.

Have you inspected the cell to be sure there is no scale buildup?

I pulled up a manual for your system and the troubleshooting is pretty basic. Check all connections, etc.

If the controller appears to work I would suspect it is time for a new cell.

The cell is clean. When it started acting up, I cleaned it in acid/water per the manual even though it looked fine. It worked for an hour or so then went back to being intermittent.

I don't mind getting a new cell but I don't have a way to make sure the controller is ok.

Let's ask @JamesW if he has any ideas. But with the controller actively showing lights and turning on / off the cell I suspect it is fine.

14 years is a good run. I suspect that you probably need at least a cell. I don't know that system, but I would probably rig up a tester that can simulate a working cell to see if the controller works.

For example, if the output is 24 volts dc and 8 amps, you could put (2) 12 volt bulbs in series to see if they light up. You would use bulbs where the amps were correct for the supply.

Measure volts and amps during the test.

Don't do anything where you're not 100% sure that you know what you're doing and understand the risks.

I would look at what the prices are for the cell, the controller, and the cell + controller. Often the cost of both is not much more than the cell alone. May be wise to replace both if they are packaged at a discount. Then you may be good for another 14 years.

If no discount to buying then together then get the cell and try it. Worst case is you then buy the controller and have an all new system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.