Jul 8, 2015
Lansdale, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise! I'm having trouble with elevated TA.

In preparation to SLAM, I lowered the PH from 7.8 to 7.2 expecting that my TA would also lower from the 220 reading I got at opening 3 days ago. Pool has been running 24hrs since opening and water is crystal clear, but lost 6ppm of FC overnight so starting SLAM. These were my measurements this morning:

FC 12 (This is my SLAM starting point)
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 240
CYA 35
CH 325

My PH didn't rebound (it's been 7.2 for 3 days since adding 1 gallon of MA) so if I add more MA to pull down the TA, won't that pull the pH too low? I use the TF100 test kit.

Thanks,

Kim

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise! I'm having trouble with elevated TA.
In preparation to SLAM, I lowered the PH from 7.8 to 7.2 expecting that my TA would also lower from the 220 reading I got at opening 3 days ago. Pool has been running 24hrs since opening and water is crystal clear, but lost 6ppm of FC overnight so starting SLAM. These were my measurements this morning:

FC 12 (This is my SLAM starting point)
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 240
CYA 35
CH 325

My PH didn't rebound (it's been 7.2 for 3 days since adding 1 gallon of MA) so if I add more MA to pull down the TA, won't that pull the pH too low?

Thanks, Kim

Are you able to provide aeration? (splashing, pointing returns to break the waters surface, etc)

Focus on the SLAM. No need to mess with TA until later.

Your pH reading with a FC above 10ppm is not accurate. So do not do anything about that.

SLAM. Use a CYA of 40 (you cannot measure a CYA of 35. The scale is logarithmic. Always round up).

Using muratic acid will reduce both TA and PH aerating the water with a sprinkler or possibly pointing the returns up to break the water surface will raise PH.

Keep in mind too that at FC levels above 10, the PH test becomes less accurate too.

I do have the the returns pointed to the surface. I'll revisit when I'm finished the SLAM process. I adjusted and measured the PH before I upped the chlorine, so that number should be ok. Thank you!

Ok, SLAM is complete and all looks good except the TA is high. Here are my numbers this am using TF100

FC 4
CC 0
TA 230
PH 7.5
CYA 30
CL 375

The jets are pointed to the surface and I've been walking around splashing the surface with the skimmer (too cold to get in!). Thoughts?

Thank you!

Kim

The method for lowering TA will happen but it happens slowly. As you add acid. Everytime your lower the PH the TA will lower a bit more. Aeration will speed up the process of raising PH but not raising TA so that is the reason to aerate. I would lower PH everytime it hits 7.6 back down to 7.0-7.2 then aerate. With lots of patience you will get a lower TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.