Help with suction side leak.....

Oct 5, 2015
League City, TX
In ground pool. The last couple of months I've noticed air bubbles at the pool water returns. The pump suction basket empties out every night. I've replaced the suction basket o-ring. Done the soap test on all the fittings/joints/strainer drain plug, done the running water test too and can't seem to locate the leak. Looked at the suction strainers in the pool and don't see a whirlpool. I've also isolated them and just pulled water out of the spa and still air bubbles in the pool. Could the leak be coming from the pump itself? About two years ago I replaced the motor and mechanical seal. Everything good up until a couple of months ago. Any help appreciated.

Please put more details of your pool in your signature. What pump do you have? What filter do you have?

Other then water bubbles coming out of your returns what other signs of an air leak do you have? Is the pump- basket full or water or have an air quibble? Does your pump prime properly when turned on?

Please put more details of your pool in your signature. What pump do you have? What filter do you have?

Other then water bubbles coming out of your returns what other signs of an air leak do you have? Is the pump- basket full or water or have an air quibble? Does your pump prime properly when turned on?
I have a Jandy stealth pump and a Jandy cartridge filter. The pool is about 15 years old and all the equipment is original to when the pool was installed. The pump strainer basket empties out every night. The pump does eventually prime once it runs for about 15-20 seconds. There is an air quibble in the basket when the pump is running.

The pump strainer basket empties out every night.
Sounds like there is definitely a break in the system somewhere allowing air in. You checked all the O-ring earlier, I'm assuming that includes they are lubed as well yes? What about your filter pressure gauge and/or relief valve? Have you checked those? Air getting-in at either of those areas will allow water to drain out of your pump strainer basket. Any 3-way valves that could be letting air-in?

Maybe post a pic of your equipment pad?

FYI, the two 90s coming out of the pump look like DWV house drain pipe and not Schedule 40 pressure rated fittings.

You will find PVC pipe and fittings marked DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent). DWV is for non-pressurized plumbing and should not be used for a pool. DWV PVC has thinner walls then Schedule 40 PVC.

Schedule 40 PVC parts have deeper hubs (ends) then DWV PVC parts. The shallower ends on DWV parts is the way to identify their incorrect use in pool plumbing.

C,

Your pad looks like it stays wet... Do you see any place where water weeps out when the pump is running, like the filter ring or any of the pump or valve connections?

If water can leak out, air can leak in..

It is not all that usually, but I have seen air relief valves that let air in but won't let water out.. I had one that did that.. When you shut the pump off, you could hear the air being sucked in.

Thanks,

Jim R.

FYI, the two 90s coming out of the pump look like DWV house drain pipe and not Schedule 40 pressure rated fittings.

You will find PVC pipe and fittings marked DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent). DWV is for non-pressurized plumbing and should not be used for a pool. DWV PVC has thinner walls then Schedule 40 PVC.

Schedule 40 PVC parts have deeper hubs (ends) then DWV PVC parts. The shallower ends on DWV parts is the way to identify their incorrect use in pool plumbing.
Thanks for that info. That's on me, I changed out those fittings a couple years ago. The right stuff was on there from the original install.

C,

Your pad looks like it stays wet... Do you see any place where water weeps out when the pump is running, like the filter ring or any of the pump or valve connections?

If water can leak out, air can leak in..

It is not all that usually, but I have seen air relief valves that let air in but won't let water out.. I had one that did that.. When you shut the pump off, you could hear the air being sucked in.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pool cleaner pump has a small discharge leak, its a slow weep. That area of my backyard doesn't get much sun and stays damp most of the time. I've looked for leaks, the pool cleaner pump discharge has a small weep when its in operation. Maybe that's where I'm leaking in causing the suction filter basket to empty out?

Cam,

While you "should" not use DWV sweeps, as long as you have square cuts and do a good glue job, they will be just fine for normal pools.. Pump pressure is just not that great.. The only time it could be a problem is if you deadheaded the pump and the water had no place to go. If you redo it again use the right fitting, but I would not go to the trouble of redoing it just to replace the DWV fittings..

I would fix the booster pump leak and see what happens.. No sure it is "the" leak, but it is a leak.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.