Help with skimmer repair

popechild

Nov 23, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Trying to figure out the best way forward with my skimmer after pulling up our old pool deck during a renovation.

We had a (very old) poured concrete pool deck. The contractor ripped all that out, and in the process, the top part(s?) of the skimmer, which were encased in that concrete, came off too. I don't see a model or brand anywhere on it, but the basket (which may or may not be original) is a Pentair.

I've included a picture of the section of concrete that surrounded it. I'm not too familiar with skimmer parts, but from looking at various parts diagrams, it looks like maybe there's an extension collar and a ring seat encased in the concrete that was cut out?

I'm not inclined to start chiseling out concrete to replace the entire skimmer, which has worked fine. So my hope is I can repair this one when we add the new pool deck. Does that look like a reasonable option here? Can I just buy a new extension collar and ring seat, stack them inside what's left on the skimmer, and I'm good to go?

If it matters, the new pool deck will be artificial turf around where the skimmer is.

Which brings me to a second question. Is it normal for it to be set back away from the pool the way it is where there's a gap between the coping and the top of the skimmer? I wasn't there when they pulled up the old concrete, so I'm not sure if there was some kind of covering there that got removed with the concrete, nor how they poured the old deck with that gap there. I'm thinking I need to find some sort of thin, stiff, non-metal lid to put over that before they put down the turf base. Any thoughts or suggestions there?

Many thanks!

IMG_4505.JPGIMG_4506.JPGIMG_4507.JPGIMG_4509.JPGIMG_4510.JPG

Trying to figure out the best way forward with my skimmer after pulling up our old pool deck during a renovation.

We had a (very old) poured concrete pool deck. The contractor ripped all that out, and in the process, the top part(s?) of the skimmer, which were encased in that concrete, came off too. I don't see a model or brand anywhere on it, but the basket (which may or may not be original) is a Pentair.

I've included a picture of the section of concrete that surrounded it. I'm not too familiar with skimmer parts, but from looking at various parts diagrams, it looks like maybe there's an extension collar and a ring seat encased in the concrete that was cut out?

I'm not inclined to start chiseling out concrete to replace the entire skimmer, which has worked fine. So my hope is I can repair this one when we add the new pool deck. Does that look like a reasonable option here? Can I just buy a new extension collar and ring seat, stack them inside what's left on the skimmer, and I'm good to go?

If it matters, the new pool deck will be artificial turf around where the skimmer is.

Which brings me to a second question. Is it normal for it to be set back away from the pool the way it is where there's a gap between the coping and the top of the skimmer? I wasn't there when they pulled up the old concrete, so I'm not sure if there was some kind of covering there that got removed with the concrete, nor how they poured the old deck with that gap there. I'm thinking I need to find some sort of thin, stiff, non-metal lid to put over that before they put down the turf base. Any thoughts or suggestions there?

Many thanks!

View attachment 460866View attachment 460867View attachment 460868View attachment 460869View attachment 460870
Looks like a Pac Fab Skim Clean skimmer. Original basket acted as the diverter as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Many thanks!

View attachment 460866View attachment 460867View attachment 460868View attachment 460869View attachment 460870
Looks like a Pac Fab Skim-Clean. Parts, including the ring for the lid appear to be available, though not inexpensive. Very old. Original came with a basket that acted as the diverter for the maindrain as well.

Thanks! I'll look around for parts for that and see what I can find. Any particular source you saw you'd point me to?

Additionally, any thoughts on the gap between the skimmer and the coping? Is that a normal thing that's done?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.