HELP WITH SAND FILTER SIZE AND PUMP

PDH100

May 24, 2024
Vieginia
Hello all...if someone could give some advice, it would be most appreciated. I have an above ground round 24x52 pool that has the one large square intake for filter instead of the 2 small round in/out like intex. I hooked my old intex sand filter/pump. 2800gph 14inch .60 pump. Intex specs say this should work for that size. It just does not clean pool..will end up with some algae on bottom and cannot get vacuum to run..which may be due to fittings. New pool was not set up for intex. Any opinions on what should work. Was thinking about buying filter and pump separate. Would a larger pump work with the 14 inch I have now. Thanks for any input.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, that small 14" Intex pump/filter combo is extremely small and won't do much for you. If possible, I would avoid those convenient combo set-ups. If your budget allows, I would look for a sand filter of somewhere around 20" - 24". Even larger won't hurt (less backwashing intervals), but depends on your budget.

For the pump, never get a single speed, and 2-speeds are getting harder to find. Most are selling variable speeds now for energy savings. Look at Calimar or Black & Decker just to name a few of the newer budget-friendly options. A VSP of about 1-1.5 HP should be plenty.

Remember, the effectiveness of your pump/filter is 100% dependent on the water chemistry. Be sure you have a TF-Series test kit (see my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. THAT is how you avoid algae, not the pump or filter. IT's all about the water numbers. Never trust strips or local free testing.

Also see -------> Pool Care Basics