Help with Replaster Decision

lews

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 24, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey everyone,

My pool is plastered SWG that's 12 yo. We have well water and have staining from iron and manganese (the property has an old gold mine on it), and it appears that there's some scaling that occurred that trapped minerals to cause the bulk of the staining (Jack's stain test shows scale). I tried Jacks scale removal but it didn't work. But I've drained the pool down 24" and muriatic acid takes off the stain (full strength though). After cleaning the test area, the surface was a little bit rougher but still seems fine. To my hand and look, the plaster appears in good shape - hard and smooth. It has several cracks that go across the bottom, but these seem the typical cracks. There is one 6" square area exception, just underneath the tile near the steps, though where the plaster has an indentation -it's eroded into the plaster, like a tennis ball smacked it. It fits spaling description, but no other place on the pool looks like this - it's an anomaly area and I think it was a problem shortly after the pool was built.

I've read on the forum that plaster is good for 10-15 years, but my last pool was 20 yo plaster and still in good shape. As I say, my current pool's surface is still hard and smooth, except for that small area. Since there is scale, I obviously was not controlling my CSI at some point, but though I've had many algae blooms (a faulty SWG) that shouldn't have happened, I generally think I've kept the pool in good chemistry. But the scale indicates otherwise.

My Question. Is it reasonable to repair the small area, acid wash the stains and expect another 5+ years from the pool? It's never been acid washed before, and now I'm retired, so money is tight, but also I have the time to make sure the pool is well maintained. Except this one spot of problem and the staining, the plaster seems sound. I do have some small places of black algae that I haven't been able to get rid of, but I'm assuming it can be dealt with when it's acid washed. The alternative is a $15K (low end pebble) renovation - wow or acid washed for ~ $2K (including the water).

If I'm only kicking the can down the road a couple years, it would be stupid not to replaster now. I know the roughness caused by the acid wash will allow stains more readily (and black algae), but bad enough for $13k expense.

Sorry for the length. I hope someone can provide some insights. It seems to hinge on this - if I'm correct about the good condition of the plaster except for the stain and the spot, is expecting at least 5 more years reasonable likely - if the pool is carefully maintained?

Lewis

I somehow missed this response. I'm sorry. My latest numbers are:
FC 3.2
PH 7.6
TA 110
CH 230
CYA 55

As to hard water, some but I'm not sure how badly. We do have some build up at the bottom of faucets, but after 12 yrs, I've cleaned them maybe twice. So it's definitely hard, but it doesn't seem unexpectedly so. Are you thinking maybe the stain is mineral deposits? I don't use anything but bleach and the SWG.

If you're still interested in opinions I would say that it sounds like you can go the cheaper route and get a few more years out of it. Acid washing is definitely not the best idea for plaster life and roughness. Has anyone around you suggested a Zero Alkalinity treatment? That's where they add enough acid to lower the TA to 0 and then you maintain that acidic water for about 24 hours. At that point, you can either pump the water out and refill fresh or raise the pH back up and see how it goes. The Zero-Alkalinity treatment is effectively like an acid wash accept a lot less aggressive and it's not dependent on someone brushing acid all over your pool surface.

As for the 6" area that needs repair, that can certainly be done by a plaster contractor (if you can get them to show up...plaster repairs are low-profit business and few plasterers want to waste the the profitable time of a crew member to go do a patch job). However, I can tell you from experience the patch will never match the plaster and so it will always show up and look like a patch was done. If that doesn't bother you, then I see no reason to not patch it.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I think the most important part is the few years. It costs $1500 to refill the pool, and $1K for the acid wash, so even more than I first thought. And your point is that acid washing sounds like it will shorten the life, which adds to the problem. I spent a lot of money with the scale treatment with Jacks and that didn't work at all, so I'm a little reluctant to spend more on the TA treatment - although I'll check it out, since I'm not familiar with it and any costs. I had someone look at the pool with tons of experience, and he felt the plaster needing re-doing because of hardness issues, and some efferevesence he saw. Hardness of the plaster, not the water. He's providing a quartz finish quote and if the price is doable, I plan to do that, instead of $2500 to kick the can down the road. These are all judgment calls, and I appreciate the insights. I'm rather surprised that plaster only lasts 10-15 years because my old pool was 20 years old and going strong. Perhaps there are different component in the plaster they used 35 years ago, or I got lucky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.