Help with pool cover

chatterbox

Apr 9, 2023
Texas
Hello all,

So I have an issue with any pool covers that I buy. I have an above ground and live in a windy place. Every pool cover I buy just rips to shreds. Any suggestions for a sturdy pool cover? It can be DIY or buy form somewhere. have done a search of the forums but couldn't find anything. Thank you in advance!

I use large binder clips (like for holding papers together) to clip the cover to the top rails to help keep the cover from allowing so much wind under it & help keep it more in place. They also make plastic cover clips you can buy.
Also keeping a little water on the cover can help keep it in place. Some people like to use a wrap around the base of the cover (similar to Saran Wrap or what you would wrap a pallet with. I don’t do that because I have a deck 1/2 way around & also I like to have the freedom to loosen my cover rope & peek at the pool if needed.
There have been folks who also used 3/4” pvc put together without glue to form a ring inside the pool up against the wall on top of the cover to help keep the wind from billowing the cover.
It’s pretty windy here but it has never shredded my cover. Most solid tarp type covers are only good for 1-2 winters anyway. I got 3 winters out of my 1st one & that was really pushing it.
If you have access all the way around your pool you could get a more robust cover like this
The other choice is not cover at all as many people in texas choose not to close their pool & leave it running or winterize yet go coverless.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
I live in Jersey and have dealt with winter covers for a while, everything Mdragger88 said is spot on!

I leave some water on the pool cover to keep it weighted and it works. I have used the plastic wrap a few times but I haven't perfected the seal. We actually bought a food service saran wrap (18" wide) to try it this past winter and we never got around to it. I have never bought clips but I would imagine they would work but plastic being plastic - I would think after a couple of years they would need replacement. I know they sell water bags, some people hang water jugs around the pool (I see an issue with this but I may be wrong). Having an inch or so on top of the cover works great, when the wind blows the side puffs up and the water brings it down. I have a spare sump pump that I keep for draining the cover, pool, hot tub that I start up and let it drain by gravity so I don't have to watch it.

I have had good luck with Arctic Armour winter covers, good luck being I get 3 years (maybe 4) out of them before I have to toss them. Delamination is not covered under their warranty. I have used their warranty once for a different issue and they were great. I order them through Home Depot now, the Blue Wave brand seems to be making Arctic Armour but I may be wrong. Just my opinion but they are affordable, I pay about $80 for a 24 foot round cover. I look at winter covers and solar covers as disposable.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.