Help with pool configuration - skimmer& drain

Jul 10, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
Good Afternoon everyone. I have a question regarding my pool. This is my first inground,,,came with the house we bought last fall.

I have a rectangular pool 16x32 with a deepend. I have a drain in the deep end and a skimmer at the opposite (shallow) end of the pool. I have a Heyward sand filter and super pump.

The 2nd hole in the skimmer has a plug in it. the plug has a square top for a wrench and and what looks like a small nipple on the side.

I dont know wether that plug is supposed to stay or be removed for operation. how can i tell if it is connected? and whether or not to remove it?

thank you in advance for the help

Last edited:
Do you have separate suction lines at the pump (one for skimmer and one for main drain)?

I have 2 pipes coming out of the ground connected to the pump inlet with a shut off valve between them..
I took a couple pictures...hope this helps the tall pipe in back is out to the pool the two pipes pictured go into the pump

Attachments

• IMG_2859.JPG
    IMG_2859.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 9
What are the chances. I have exactly the same question as I have a similar plug. Watching with interest :)

I do have separate lines and shut of control for sump and skimmer.

Grant,

Do you have a vacuum port in the side wall of your pool???

If not, then most likely the skimmer and main drain are the two line that you see coming into your pump.

That is why you only have one open line in the bottom of your skimmer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Grant,

Do you have a vacuum port in the side wall of your pool???

If not, then most likely the skimmer and main drain are the two line that you see coming into your pump.

That is why you only have one open line in the bottom of your skimmer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

i do not have a vacuum port on the side of the pool.
So am I to assume the both lines are drawing water and being pulled into the pump and therefore that extra line remains plugged?
So does that mean i leave it plugged?

thanks...

Grant,

Yes.. It appears that your main drain is plumbed to your equipment pad and not to your skimmer (where the plug is..).

What problem are you having that you want to remove the plug???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Grant,

Yes.. It appears that your main drain is plumbed to your equipment pad and not to your skimmer (where the plug is..).

What problem are you having that you want to remove the plug???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi jim,

i had no issues involving it. I was cleaning my skimmer with the pump off and saw closed port. I wondered what it was and if i had missed something when i opened the pool..

thank you for the info...

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.