Ericinphoenix

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! My Hayward sand filter is leaking so I went to the pool store and got a new clamp and O-ring. Guy said to replace the ring I must “cut through the plumbing” and lift out the valve to access the ring. That I can do. However, how does one plumb it back to working order? There’s three PVC pipes going in that will need to be cut. How do I do the plumbing after I’ve replaced the O-ring and screwed on the clamp? Please see photos for clarification and thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer. Eric

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 9
You'll have to cut and splice it back in. I'd do a replumb of whatever you can reach. When you redo the plumbing use unions so you don't have this issue again in the future. Or, return the repair kit and replace the filter with a cartridge filter and never have to mess with this obsolete style of filter again.

Reactions: Ericinphoenix
Thanks. I may have given the impression I know something about plumbing. Splice it back in? Whatever I can reach? Unions? Sorry I don’t know what any of that means. Replace the whole sand filter for a cartridge filter?

Thanks. I may have given the impression I know something about plumbing. Splice it back in? Whatever I can reach? Unions? Sorry I don’t know what any of that means. Replace the whole sand filter for a cartridge filter?

This is a plumbing job involving PVC plumbing parts using glue (solvent) to connect them. They are called slip fittings. Unions allow two pieces of plumbing to disconnect and reconnect whenever you need simply by unscrewing. They should have been used when this was originally done. Splicing involves cutting a section of plumbing then reconnecting those two pieces back together. You could use the above mentioned union or a simple coupling.

Replacing the filter with a more modern cartridge filter removes almost all maintenance from your filter system. There is no multi port valve to break and no backwashing. Cartridges typically are cleaned once or twice a season and take about an hour to hose off. Usually there are 4 cartridges. They last 5 years or so and are then replaced with new ones.

Just go to Home Depot. Purchase 3- 2" unions (assuming you have 2"plumbing) And a pack of PVC glue and primer. Find a YouTube video on how to install PVC pipe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528-171103.png
    Screenshot_20230528-171103.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230528-171232.png
    Screenshot_20230528-171232.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 1
This is a plumbing job involving PVC plumbing parts using glue (solvent) to connect them. They are called slip fittings. Unions allow two pieces of plumbing to disconnect and reconnect whenever you need simply by unscrewing. They should have been used when this was originally done. Splicing involves cutting a section of plumbing then reconnecting those two pieces back together. You could use the above mentioned union or a simple coupling.

Replacing the filter with a more modern cartridge filter removes almost all maintenance from your filter system. There is no multi port valve to break and no backwashing. Cartridges typically are cleaned once or twice a season and take about an hour to hose off. Usually there are 4 cartridges. They last 5 years or so and are then replaced with new ones.
Thank you for making it clearer for me. You’ve given me a lot to go on.

Just go to Home Depot. Purchase 3- 2" unions (assuming you have 2"plumbing) And a pack of PVC glue and primer. Find a YouTube video on how to install PVC pipe.
I’m really fond of the clear all-in-one PVC glue for equipment pad plumbing - I use Gorilla brand.
Especially for an amateur like me, you can use a ton of glue without it showing (purple stains everywhere.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.