Gecrabill

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2014
Osprey, Florida
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
In a nutshell. I bought a home with existing spa. Pump is fried. I brought my pool equipment from my old house. New home has 1.5” plumbing. Old equiptment is 2”. Can I hook up my Superflo 1.5 VS and filter to nee equipment without changing plumbing from pump to outlet? Basically will have a 1.5” inlet into the pump. 2” from pump to filter, 2” from filter to outlet in the ground. Do a pvc reducer 2” to 1.5” at the ground outlet? I feel it should be fine, but would like to get some opinions from experience. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
G,

I have two rent houses that have 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps which have 2" plumbing and they are both connected to 1.5" plumbing going back and forth to the pool... They have been running for over 5 or 6 years without any problems at all...

I suspect that unless you are running at full speed and are using some kind of water flow measuring equipment, you will never be able to tell the difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jeff,

Yes.. The pools started off life with 1.5" plumbing... I removed the old pumps and installed the IntelliFlo pumps and SWCGs.

The Suction lines and Return lines remain 1.5"..

I did have to add 2" to 1.5" PVC adapters to plumb in the pumps and the SWCGs...

Thanks,

Jim R.

That's SOP since the pump is hard plumbed at 2 and they come with 1.5 bushings (or at least the manual,says it's ok to bush them). I think the OP is questioning where the actual pipes are different sizes on the suction and return sides.

Jeff,

I guess my point is that I doubt it will make any difference in the operation of the pool...

I also find it very odd that a pool would have different size suction and return lines between the pool and the equipment pad.. I certainly can understand how the plumbing at the equipment pad could be different sizes..

Jim R.

My pad is 1.5 and both stubs up from the deck are 1.25 so I'm sure not going to disagree with you lol. I was just sharing with the OP, since I had the book open when he posted, that they don't seem to like when the suction piping is smaller than the return. As has been said, at reduced rpm it's likely not to matter and we know that mfg advice is often based on the lawyers rather than the engineers.

I think the OP is fine with his 11k pool just as I expect to be with my 10k and even smaller pipes.

Jeff,

Just to be clear... I thought your post #2 was spot on... I think it is important to know what "should" be, and what others have done, so that a decision can be made with all the inputs possible.

I apologize if it sounded like I was arguing with your input..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.