Help with picking pool tile

kcarlile

Jun 7, 2020
Santa Rosa, CA
Hi All,

I need help picking our pool tile (waterline and spa spillover). We will have bluestone coping and hopefully, dark blue water (still picking the pool finish). I'm having trouble with the tile. We don't want the tile to stand out too much, but instead blend with our coping. However, we do want a little bling, so we plan to use glass tile. To get the dark blue water, our pool finish will probably be Adam's Pebble Plus (Indigo) or Pebble Sheen (Ocean Blue).

I would love any thoughts about our tile choices. We are currently looking at Oceanside Fleet Blue iridescent. I've attached some pictures with the fleet blue iridescent tile along side either the bluestone coping or bluestone ledge stone (one length of the pool will have a raised wall with this ledgestone). Another picture also shows a combination of fleet blue (non iridescent), silverlight, and dove/white. But, I'm not sure if this is too light or busy. And, we could also mix iridescent and non iridescent tiles. The last picture shows the 3 fleet blue options (iridescent, matte, and non iridescent). The last picture was taken inside a warehouse and it's amazing how different the color looks. We will probably go with a darker grey grout. I'm currently leaning towards all fleet blue iridescent for consistency, but my husband thinks we should mix the fleet blue iridescent and non iridescent tiles. Thanks for any help!

tile1a.jpg

Tile2a.jpg
Tile3a.jpg
Tile4a.jpg

Here I am.......ready to help you spend your money!!! That is what I do best!! LOL

I really, really, really like the long tiles. The color variation gives it a lot of interesting and the colors will go great with everything else! It will help tie everything together!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: jdisauwg
Thank you so much! I am liking the combination of colors more and more. I also like these from Lunada Bay. But, I've read some so-so reviews about how these can look after they are installed, so I'm not sure if I should consider them. But, they sure look pretty. I'll have to see if I can get some samples. My PB specifically recommended NPT and Oceanside for glass tiles. I'll have to ask if they've ever installed Lunada Bay.

Attachments

• Torino.jpg
    Torino.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Pamukkale.jpg
    Pamukkale.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 16
  • CocoKeeling.jpg
    CocoKeeling.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Matera.jpg
    Matera.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 14
I send the enlongated tile - visual interest and not the typical grid but still classic and not something that will look dated quickly. I also like the cocokeeling (personally prefer a color which blends with the coping but has enough visual interest to stand on own.

I went to look at more tiles in person today. Here is another one that I'm really liking. This sample shows both iridescent and silk. We would do one or the other, not both. The iridescent goes a little gold at times. I think this is our current favorite. It's Sonoma Tilemakers which uses the same tiles as Lunada Bay. The manufacturer just sells different colors and blends to the different companies.

Attachments

• ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 50
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 47
  • ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 45
  • ST4.jpg
    ST4.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 44
  • ST5.jpg
    ST5.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 40
Thinking out loud here...............I THINK those tiles come on a sheet all together. If ask the installers to remove one color/kind it will mean they have cut the sheets to remove the ones you don't want AND cut other sheets to get the ones you do want. Just something to look in to before you get to far. I DO like that chose and hope you can do what you want!

Thank you! Yes, these do come on sheets. I think if we want to avoid the gold, we could just go with the silk version (which is the bottom 3 rows of tiles in each picture). The top 3 rows have the iridescent that goes gold at certain angles in the sun. We can do these in 1x1 or 1/2 x 1-1/4 (looks really cool, but maybe too much grout), or 1x4. Although I love the look of the 1x4, some glass manufacturers don't recommend going over 3" with glass tile. I guess they are more likely to crack the bigger they are (at least that's what the tile guy told me).

Here's one last comparison picture with the different tiles that we've been considering. I don't have the long, skinny tiles in this pic because I couldn't convince my husband of that one. I think we're leaning towards the one on the left. I've been looking at tile for weeks, so I am so happy to finally be getting this figured out :)
compareall.jpg

• Love
Reactions: TexasRain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OOOh that's a hard choice! All look like winners! Is there a big price difference with any of the three to help cut one out?
All the tiles are within a few dollars of each other. Actually, the one on the right is the most expensive. That one is Oceanside Tile. But, I think it's just too plain. If we go with that one, we would probably mix iridescent and non iridescent tiles to add a little more interest. But, doing that mix would increase the price even more. The one on the left is actually the cheapest, and it's currently our favorite. So, that's definitely a win. It's also in stock which is another bonus. :)

Very pretty choices, I'm booking mark this thread because it's the same color palate we're thinking about.

I agree, the tiles on the left would be my first choice.
If you like these, check out the Sonoma Tilemakers (Vihara line), Lunada Bay (Agate line), and Oceanside (Muse or Tessera lines) websites. But, definitely see them in person if you can too. One of the ones in the above picture looks kind of brownish on the website, but not at all in person. And some colors that we loved in the store, looked completely different when we brought them home and looked at them in different light and at different angles.

Reactions: HappySwimming
The Lightstream tile looks great too! I just didn't find any that fit the color that I'm looking for. My husband is begging me to make a decision because I keep changing my mind. I threw a few more tile samples into the mix today. Of course, his favorite is one of the new ones, so he should be happy that I can't make a decision ;-)

Attachments

• bodhi1.jpg
    bodhi1.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Multipletiles2.jpg
    Multipletiles2.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 39
  • MultipleTiles.jpg
    MultipleTiles.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.