Help with new water and SWG

Ollie0925

Apr 7, 2020
Salisbury, NC
Hi everyone! Just had my new vinyl liner and SWG installed and I’m confused on how to start to balance.
FC 0
PH very low. It was yellow in color
Salt 0
TA 30
CYA 0
Temp is 61 degrees and water almost full enough to start pump and start to balance. What goes first? Thanks for help you guys saved me last year as a first time pool owner, followed your instructions and pool was gorgeous all year until liner failed over the winter.

Start by adding enough liquid chlorine to bring the FC to 1.0. Let it mix for 15 minutes and test pH again, then adjust the pH to 7.0 Depending on how low the pH actually is you may need to repeat this step a couple of times to raise the pH high enough. No need to test TA until the pH is set, but you can probably leave TA alone as it moves with pH levels. Use the sock method to add enough CYA for 60 ppm. Final step is to add pool salt.
Use PoolMath to determine how much of each chemical to add.

Use baking soda to raise your TA to 70 ppm. Circulate and test pH and TA. If pH still not in the 7's, add borax to raise it to 7.5.

Add enough liquid chlorine to get to 3 ppm FC. Start 30 ppm worth of CYA granules dissolving using the sock method.

Maintain your FC using liquid chlorine. Once you have the system being maintained, then add sufficient salt (I doubt it is 0, how did you test that?) by adding 2/3rds of what is needed, circulate for a day or two, then test and add the balance needed for your SWCG.

Once you have the SWCG operating, then start raising your CYA to 70 ppm. Follow the FC/CYA Levels

FC and CYA right away for sure. You can work on TA and CH at the same time. Wait to adjust PH after that if needed. Salt last, bring it up to the level recommended for the SWG and then get it working.

Use baking soda to raise your TA to 70 ppm. Circulate and test pH and TA. If pH still not in the 7's, add borax to raise it to 7.5.

Add enough liquid chlorine to get to 3 ppm FC. Start 30 ppm worth of CYA granules dissolving using the sock method.

Maintain your FC using liquid chlorine. Once you have the system being maintained, then add sufficient salt (I doubt it is 0, how did you test that?) by adding 2/3rds of what is needed, circulate for a day or two, then test and add the balance needed for your SWCG.

Once you have the SWCG operating, then start raising your CYA to 70 ppm. Follow the FC/CYA Levels
Thank you for your help. I wasn’t very clear about the salt level. I meant to say that I hadn’t added any yet. My Taylor kit doesn’t have salt testing yet as SWG is new but test kit is on the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.