Help with new Hayward Lateral Assembly

MValvano

Jul 16, 2022
Long Island, NY
I have a Hayward S166T sand filter, needed a replacement lateral assembly. Ordered one & received a new assembly with a small opening on top of the base of the laterals. Contacted the pool store & they gave me a tube with a screen on it. Called it an air relief tube. Here’s the thing, my old lateral assembly did not have this opening or air relief tube. Pool store wasn’t much help answering questions. I installed it & have had nothing but problems with a lot of sand passing. Requested a new assembly because I thought it was either incorrect or defective even though I inspected it numerous times. There’s no cracks or any damage at all. New assembly came in today. Same hold for an air relief tube. Could someone please help me with this. I don’t think it’s the correct assembly. Even though the model number matches with my sand filter.

SX164DA5306DBFD-8E50-4842-A402-843FF7DB0CA2.jpegF81AD98C-9E51-4226-8E17-A68E71909DC1.jpeg910C8359-8F1E-4F2B-9205-3F84939CCBC3.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Every site I've been to shows the same P/N. If the tube fits snug in the hole at the base and the other end (with screen) is above the sand near the top, it would seem odd sand is escaping from there. Two sets of laterals doing the same thing? :scratch: Just to be sure, the sand is clearly marked as #20 pool silica sand right?

First assembly I received was used prior to me receiving it, I honestly was in such a rush to install it & I didn’t even realize until I looked at the photos I took of it. The laterals were difficult to move, scratched up & had sand in the laterals as well. Also I just looked at that hole closely & put a small straw cleaner in it, it seems to be completely sealed. Feel like I’m going insane over here. Going up to the pool store now for new sand. I’ll make sure that what I get. I appreciate the help. Maybe one of the laterals was cracked or not seated properly. I also replaced the spider gasket to eliminate any other possible way for sand to get in.

Did you use a cup to cover the pipe when adding sand to prevent sand getting into the standpipe?

What is the filter model number?

Top mount filters don't use an air tube.

Side mount filters use the air tube.

What brand of sand did you get?

The Mystic White® II brand Pool Filter Sand would be a good choice.

It has various effective sizes.

Listed are "Effective Size - .49 mm, .65 mm or .80 mm.

It seems that some laterals might have slightly larger openings than others.

I would go with a 0.65 mm sand for most filters.

If the laterals are bigger than normal, go with the 0.80 mm sand.

Did you use a cup to cover the pipe when adding sand to prevent sand getting into the standpipe?

What is the filter model number?

Top mount filters don't use an air tube.

Side mount filters use the air tube.

What brand of sand did you get?

The Mystic White® II brand Pool Filter Sand would be a good choice.

It has various effective sizes.

Listed are "Effective Size - .49 mm, .65 mm or .80 mm.

It seems that some laterals might have slightly larger openings than others.

I would go with a 0.65 mm sand for most filters.

If the laterals are bigger than normal, go with the 0.80 mm sand.
Hayward S166T, yes I used a solo cup made sure no sand went into the laterals. Not sure on the size sand, just picked up what the pool store had. I’ll double check the side when I go & pick up more today & see if they have a larger size. From the research I did this model does not use an air relief tube, you’re correct. The sand problem progressively got worse. Initially it wasn’t much at all. If I run the pump for 30 minutes the bottom has a lot of sand, not just in one place either. It’s the entire bottom. I’m thinking the lateral assembly I received was defective because it was used prior to me receiving it on top of possibly using wrong size sand.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.