Help with lowering TA

Apr 29, 2018
Clinton
Ok this is my first-year of opening a pool I shocked it I about 3 weeks ago then I ended up with cloudy water so after my levels got low I slammed it again after levels went back down still cloudy after testing it I found out my TA was high it was like a 200 so I added acid got the oh down to about 7.0 it went down to 180 added borax got oh back up to 7.4 added more acid got TA down to 120 do I just keep doing this process till I get my CA DOWN TO WHAT I NEED

Here is my numbers
Total hard-250
Chlorine-3
Free chlorine-3
PH_7.0
TA-120
CA- 40

Whoa!

Short answer: nothing. The 7.0 pH will rise all by itself with the 120 TA. And when pH rises to 7.8, add acid to reduce pH to 7.2. Each time you do that, you lower TA a littl;e bit, so the amount of acid you need will decrease and the interval between additions will increase.

Check out the article Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity especially the part that says, "You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA."

High Alkalinity will not cause cloudy water. That's almost always algae, or the dead bleached carcasses of algae. In either case, the solution is the same: bleach, brushing, and filtration. The How-to is in the SLAM Process article.

Thanks for the Advice I really do appreciate it but I don't quiet agree with you on the cloudiness due to algae I have read allot of forms and An excessive amount of pool chemicals can cause your water to be cloudy. That includes high pH, high alkalinity, high chlorine or other sanitizers, and high calcium hardness.

I have read allot of forms and An excessive amount of pool chemicals can cause your water to be cloudy. That includes high pH, high alkalinity, high chlorine or other sanitizers, and high calcium hardness.
You didn't read it on THIS forum and we're trying to help you. But do as you wish.

Your right I didn't read it in this form and I want to greatly appreciate you help I will now never look at another sure I took your advice and stated to slam I can now see the bottom it's not Crystal clear yet burn can tell it getting thatvway thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Your right I didn't read it in this form and I want to greatly appreciate you help I will now never look at another site agian I took your advice and stated to slam I can now see the bottom it's not Crystal clear yet but i can tell it getting there thanks again

I admit I read a few other forums in the beginning but I quickly stopped as I wanted to be committed to TFP! Good job taking the advice of the mods on this site as they are knowledgeable and will not stir you wrong on TFP methods. The advice the provide is free but the TFP site itself requires funding so perhaps you will consider joining and making a donation? Money well spent for sure!!

Your right I didn't read it in this form and I want to greatly appreciate you help I will now never look at another sure I took your advice and stated to slam I can now see the bottom it's not Crystal clear yet burn can tell it getting thatvway thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Your right I didn't read it in this form and I want to greatly appreciate you help I will now never look at another site agian I took your advice and stated to slam I can now see the bottom it's not Crystal clear yet but i can tell it getting there thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.