Help with Hayward Chlorinator Install

Put a plug or potato in the return when you need to remove the cell.

Last edited:
I would insert an expandable plug inside the pool. They have them at hardware stores. Do the same on the inlet side to the chlorine cell. It will be a little messy so be ready for that. Or Richard's carrot solution. You can also carve a potato to fit. Make sure you don't get a plug of it in the pipe though. See below for the expandable plug. Push it in 'till snug then turn the wing nut that causes the plug to squish up and get fatter till it seals. Next time you drain the pool put in valves as Richard recommended.

Chris

1592497206152.png

I am running the same SWG as you are

As was said, the AquaTrol RJ does not have a flow switch, and therefor has to be installed in a vertical position where the return enters the pool. The reason being that when running, gas builds up in the cell. With the unit in the vertical position right below the return, even if the pump stops running, the gas can vent up and out of the return. If the cell is in any other sort of configuration, such as horizontal, or with some sort of loop above it (as in your install) you are supposed to have the flow sensor so that if the flow stops, the unit turns off.

Keep in mind that the RJ requires a minute or two upon start up to realize it is an RJ. When first turned on, the panel will report a no flow error. After a minute or two it realizes that it does not have a flow sensor and then starts working.

I have a valve between the cell and my filter. If I have to remove my cell, I plug the return (with the expandable rubber plug as above) and then close the valve on the other side.

For the record, in my pool (which is 17,000 gal) I run my SWG 8 hours a day, at 80% capacity and it keeps the FC where it needs to be. I do break it into two 4-hour runs. AM and PM. I also keep a solar cover on my pool when it is not being used, and my pool is not used by tons of people for hours at a time, so that is something to consider, buy the T5 does its job for me.

Last edited:
Ended up having it moved and plumbed correctly. We put a shutoff below it, got lucky the cord was just long enough.

It does have a pretty long cord. My salt cell is next to my return, but I have a deck around that side of the pool, so my filter (and power) is 10 - 12' feet away. I was able to place the control panel right next to my filter (which is handy because I use the salt cell controller to run my filter as well)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.