Help with ground prep questions

67mike

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
Hi All:

I am prepping our site for 21 foot round AGP.

I rented sod cutter and took the sod off the site. I cleared 18" extra so that we can use plastic and then top with rocks/gravel around pool.

I have about a 4 inch height difference side to side on the sight. I took away material from the high side BUT I will need to bring up the edge of low side with material to level.

I am getting a truck load of crusher fines in a few hours. My PLAN is to build up the low edge with crusher fines so that the site is level....pack it down as best as possible with lawn tractor, etc....

Then I will do a 2 inch layer of crusher fines and pack with a virbating plate packer, then do another 2 inch level of crusher fines and compact that as well.

I will have a ledge and slope it away from pool base.

We are using large river rock on side I had to cut away 4 inches (so now has a dirt ledge).

The vendor I bought the pool from said pack and level the crusher fines and then lay doen a "felt" that he sold us with the pool.....clean the felt (shop vacuum) then put liner ontop of that? We bought the foam cove material already so will use that,

I am seeing that buying ridgid foam as a floor is a choice of many??????? Is this the way to go over the felt over crusher fines??? Our vendor said sand dents and he doesnt suggest that as a floor.

Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
Just to confirm, thi is not an intex pool but a normal above ground pool with hard side wall..

I used foam 8 years ago under my Intex and it is still perfect... 1/2 inch foam works, I used 3/4 inch because it was on sale at the time... Use 3 inch gorilla tape to secure them together... The foam is 4 ft x 8 ft so it works better for an oval pool but you can cut away the corners for your round pool...

I also used crusher rock and it is still flat..

For you I think there is supposed to be 2 inches of sand in the bottom of your pool.. If you use 1.5 to 2 inches of crasher rock and 1/2 inch foam I think it will be perfect for your liner... The great thing about the foam is there is no way rocks or anything else can be under the liner.. :)

You don’t have to use foam. I have sand base, but did use foam cove.
Thank you.

My Vendor suggests just using a packed crusher fine base with a felt pad over top. We bought the foam cove, so will use that for sure. He said sand tends to dent and collect dirt in depressions.....I have to agree based off of our old 14 foot colman that I had on a sand base.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.