Help with closing

tpirovol

Jun 17, 2020
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

Since this was my first year closing the pool I didn't want to do anything wrong. I hired a company to come out and close the pool. Before closing the pool I checked my levels (FC 12, PH 7.8, TA 90, CH 177). I cleaned the pool, scrubbed and vacuum and set the robot on it all day. I then backwashed it 2x thoroughly and took out the ladder.

He came over and just had a couple of questions.
1) He added no chemical should he have and should I?
2) There was no drain plug in the heater and he did nothing inside the heater, should we do something? I remember a switch inside the heater. He did turn off the gas line
3) We added those air balloons I had but we did not tie it off so it is just moving around, should I go out and tie it off??
4) He tied it down over the skimmer, is this correct and does will this add pressure?
5) I have an inline salt gen should he have done anything?

He Complete
1) Used a crazy pump to drain the water 2" below the return jet
2) Put a plug in the return
3) Put a plug in the skimmer that I bought. Swimline Skim Guard Winterizer Gizzmo (Black) | Pool Supplies Canada
4) He unplugged everything and turned the gas line off
5) Blew every line and every component separately with an industrial blower and until it came out clean beyond the mist.

Anything else I should do? I think he did a decent job besides the balloon.
Thanks Terry

Attachments

• D02E30AA-BE17-418E-BFE6-0C16C34AE167.jpeg
    D02E30AA-BE17-418E-BFE6-0C16C34AE167.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 8
  • A1B50B9C-7206-4F87-9C0F-47B0CBF4B08C.jpeg
    A1B50B9C-7206-4F87-9C0F-47B0CBF4B08C.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 8
One thing you didn't post was your CYA so we know if your FC was high enough, but since you are closed it probably doesn't matter now. :) About some of your concerns:
1. Chemicals? Not necessarily. Some add an algaecide, but it's not mandatory, especially if the water is already cold (below 60 degrees) and the FC was increased more than normal.
2. Some heaters won't have a plug, and the way some are fabricated prevents water from puddling. I also suspect that by blowing out the lines that removed standing water enough to prevent expansion from freezing.
3. I'm unsure about those balloons. Are they to keep the cover up in the middle like cover pillows?
4. I'm not comfortable with securing a pool cover to or around the skimmer, especially if you get strong winds. You can alway let the cover sit on top or around the skimmer (on the water side) and just cover the skimmer separately with a plastic bag or something.
5. Probably okay. Many people do remove theirs just to keep it out of the harsh weather.

Everything else he did with the sump pump to lower water, blowing out the lines, installing plugs and the Gizmo sound appropriate.

Looks good, I am not sure how much pressure is on the line holding the cover down... I don't "think" it will do anything to the skimmer but it would make me more comfortable that line being under the skimmer directly on the pool wall with some slack of the cover going over the skimmer...

Those balloons move all over the place and really do nothing, most do not add them as they pop or lose air within a month or 2..

Took out the air bag and used it as a nice solar reel winter cover :)

now it sits so much better on the surface of the pool.

Also move the tarp up over the skimmer and added this under another tarp I added over it double protection.

Lastly added a net as I have a huge tree overhead. Will come out every 2 weeks to clear the leaves off.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.