Help with cleaner suggestions for my particular pool.

Vital Signs

Jul 27, 2020
Portland OR
New pool owner, gonna order a cleaner soon...at first I was gonna get a M600 since it seemed to be the newest and fanciest. Then I saw that the new io series that are coming with their pool mapping which seems like a really great feature and something that I really want. But looks like they won't be around till 2021 at the soonest and I don't wanna wait till then. So I thought maybe I'd get a lower priced one now and upgrade in a couple years...or maybe not at all if the lower priced one works just fine. So I'm looking at the S series and trying to decide if I need a "smart" one or not...normally I'd be all about connectivity to an app but seeing the issues with bluetooth seems like maybe it's not worth it. But then I saw the stuff about S/Active series getting high centered on main drains. My pool has three floor returns and a main drain so it would suck to get a robot that's constantly getting stuck.

My pool was drained recently for some work and I took a couple general pictures... unfortunately no good close ups of the drain/returns. But I've got some zoomed in ones where you can kinda see what's going on. Just wondering if these kinds return/drain covers are the ones giving the s series robots trouble.

I also have an auto cover on the pool...the kinda where the track on the sides prevents a cord from being there when it's closed....but I could close it almost all the way and just stop the last foot or so from the shallow end for the cord to go in. Do these robots work fine with covers closed? Didn't know if there would be issues with wall cleaning since the cover fabric lays on the water when closed. Didn't know if the robot would just bump into it and keep going or if it'd cause some issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_082634.jpg
    IMG_20200727_082634.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200727_070005~2.jpg
    IMG_20200727_070005~2.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My Active20 (S200) has no issue with my drain covers. And they are raised quite a bit.

@YippeeSkippy has an autocover and robot. Let's see what she says about her bot and the cover.

My "Sheldon 2.0" Active20 runs under the cover all the time- the outlet is about 10' straight forward on the end the retracts and the cover is closed with about an inch clearance for the cord. Not a problem a bit!

*My* problem ::sniffle:: is that we took a bad lightening strike which killed both Sheldon and the autocover motor. Expensive week at our house!! Working on replacement motors now... <sigh>

Maddie

• Sad
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.