Help with Chemical test results - very confused

Needsajet, would you recommend doing the acid wash at the same time since it we are draining most of the pool anyways? Also is there anything special that needs to be done when you fill a pool with fresh water besides do the test and record the numbers to add chemicals to get them in the correct range?

To acid wash, you need to drain all the water (which is going to be more economical than partial drains w/dilution). There are a number of videos on it for the DIY type. I actually bought all the stuff to do it (~ $70 + cost of acid) myself but at the 11th hour the local pool company gave me a killer deal that convinced me to just let them do it. They were in and out in under an hour (2 guys) and after watching, I wouldnt hesistate to Do it myself next time. If pool is already drained and company doesnt have to travel too far to get there, $300~$400 is still giving them a pretty good profit on the job.

If you are planning on an acid wash then this would be the ideal time to do it. Just be sure that you understand that this process does shorten the life of your plaster and if it is already in bad shape, it may make it worse.

Maybe I missed it but what are you trying to achieve through an acid wash?

The question re acid wash is above my paygrade! For me, it would depend if I had a problem, or if I wanted to learn how :). But I'll ask an expert or two to stop by and give their thoughts. I agree it's a good opportunity.

Filling is very straight-forward, you can do FC, CYA and pH all within an hour so it's not tricky, then fine-tune the rest after.

Thanks for all your help Needsajet. I will keep you posted on how it goes next weekend and post a photo and results. :)

Harbor freight has sump pumps that are pretty reasonable. I used their 3/4hp with float switch ($60) and 2" discharge hose ($20) which moves water pretty quickly. You also should do some reading on draining a pool so you understand the risks of floating the shell. Being summertime, risk of high groundwater causing damage are lessened but it really depends on each unique situation as to risk. We have a 9' deep pool and had no problem here in martinez. Since pool had some scaling after 10 years, I chose to acid wash while it was empty which really spruced up the pool.

FYI I called our water company and cost to refill our 19,000 gal pool was ~ $140. Suggest you may want to do the same as you could get a waiver that will eliminate and penalties.

Hey Rossterman, thanks for suggesting to check with our water company. I called today and it should cost about 101.00 to refill 8000 gallons.

Hi Needsajet,

Well I drained my pool and did a chlorine wash and then an acid wash. It wasnt fun and I wouldnt recommend it specially when it is 100 degrees out side. I do say the pool looks a lot cleaner and most of the stains came out.

So after draining the pool I just have to increase my Chlorine level as it is .5 ppm and CYA as it is non existent. My other test were close alkalinity is a little higher then I like since it is fresh wanter at 160 ppm, my harness is at 200 ppm. So I think I am off to a good start on trying to get everything inline now.

I also installed a Pool Pal liquid chlorinator so we will see how that works.

thanks for all you help everyone, I really appreciate it.

Also I have my TF100 test kit and it is so much easier then the other test kits.

Save the pucks for when you go on vacation or something. Add CYA to 40 and see where you are after it all dissolves well. With your climate, you will probably want to raise it even more later. But do it in stages. If you target 40, and reach 40, we will know exactly how to add a further addition.

Bump your FC up.

Hey MarianParoo, Thanks Yeah I am working on increasing my FC and CYA as I type. I will test tomorrow morning to see what my new numbers are. I am happy that my new numbers are not maxing out all the test so it was a good accomplishment. I did the Acid wash as the pool was drained and I am not sure if the previous owner has ever done it and the pool is 12 years old. Good advice on the pucks to keep for when we are on vacation if they are needed. I am excited to see how the Pool Pal chlorinator works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.