Help with bonding resin pool

Usually when they want 4 bonding spots it is 4 spots around the pool, bonding it in 4 spots in the same location would seem overkill to me but I'm not speaking from any authority on this. I could see the electricians POV on that, say he loosens a nut or 4 and the pool bursts open, who is liable for the damages? It may be worth seeing if the installer would come out and assist the electrician with this.

ETA: As far as the 4 spots go the code requires states
"The bonding grid must comply with (a) or (b) and be attached to the conductive pool reinforcing steel at a minimum of four points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the walls of a pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub"

So the 4 points in one spot wouldn't comply with the code either. I don't think I can be much more help as it seems there is an impasse between the professionals and what should be done.

Electricians can do testing on site to prove that the resin is non conductive very easily, but how would the inspector know he did that?

Last edited:
Yeah I am leaning towards one spot then because I can’t do the 4 spots around the pool. I would have to drill holes and my understanding is that would void warranty. So if the manufacturer only has the joint bar for the bonding, I would assume that is the only place required. But I’ll tell you what, this experience has thrown out any reasonable expectations from my end, so I guess I can do one and see if he passes me or fails me then pay reinspection and possibly void warranty. I don’t know. My installer lives 1 hr 15 away but he has been very helpful so far and is willing to talk to the electrician and/or inspector over the phone if needed.

Regarding liability I guess I am on the hook as I will be the one doing the unbolting, but one at a time.

What a disaster. Never thought this could be such a big deal when I am trying to do the right thing...getting permits, hiring licensed electrician etc.

If you are only doing 1 bolt I would only loosen the top one and bond with a bonding lug to that one just to minimize risks. I myself have never had a good experience with inspectors, either they are like yours or they have been ultra lax, which for me isn't good because I want to know if I missed something.

I appreciate the inspector trying to do a good job, but will it kill him to be a little more helpful? If he tells me what needs to be done or what he is looking for, I am all for it. Instead, I get very vague response each time which doesn’t help me.

I think at this point all you can do is bond it in the 1 location and have the inspector back. Do not worry about the "what if's" until they become "now what". You have done everything you can do to this point. I agree with badams and only loosen to top nut. There may be even enough thread on there to add the mechanical lug and another nut. Make sure to take a picture before putting the upright back in place for the inspector to see

Reactions: Oly
Kewpie, you are dealing with Orange Co inspector? Wow, my inspector from Chatham has been great. I called him and asked what he wanted to see before I even started the install. He told me exactly what he wanted and that's what I have done. So far, it's all been good. He said to place #8 copper wire in a complete circle within 3' of the wall and bond to at least 3 metal places around the pool. I did 2 at metal top plates under the caps and one on a bolt for the wall bars. Then they all tie back to the bonding terminal on the pump. Just waiting for the final inspection. We are already using the pool anyway.

Good luck.

The real intent of the code wants the 4 evenly spaced bond connections around the perimeter of the pool. Putting 4 "evenly" spaced on the seam is not the intent of the code. The bonding "grid" is as follows...a wire #8 buried 12-18 inches from the pool wall and 6" deep the entire perimeter of the pool. There needs to be 4 connection points that can be "split Bolt" connections hooked to this perimeter loop and connected to the metal pool wall. These connection points must use DB (direct burial) connectors and can be attached with either nut/bolt connections or sheetmetal screws (stainless is recommended). I usually/always put these as close to the bottom of the shell as possible so they stay below the liner in the coving area. The perimeter loop then will connect back to any bonding lugs on the pump equipment and to a water bond if one is installed which the NEC code calls for. This has to be a 9 square inch or larger surface area in contact with the water. There are several product available for this. One is commonly called a water bug.

Dan

Kewpie, you are dealing with Orange Co inspector? Wow, my inspector from Chatham has been great. I called him and asked what he wanted to see before I even started the install. He told me exactly what he wanted and that's what I have done. So far, it's all been good. He said to place #8 copper wire in a complete circle within 3' of the wall and bond to at least 3 metal places around the pool. I did 2 at metal top plates under the caps and one on a bolt for the wall bars. Then they all tie back to the bonding terminal on the pump. Just waiting for the final inspection. We are already using the pool anyway.

Good luck.

I am dealing with chapel hill inspector. He can’t seem to tell me what he is looking for. The only metal part of my pool is the wall and the uprights etc are all resin. I emailed manufacturer and they say to bond at seam. Today the electrician came and bonded one of the bolts from the seam to the perimeter one I have. All my other equipment (pump and swg) are already bonded. Inspection scheduled for tomorrow so hopefully I can pass. Electrician said there is no where to bond in 4 locations because everything else is resin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The real intent of the code wants the 4 evenly spaced bond connections around the perimeter of the pool. Putting 4 "evenly" spaced on the seam is not the intent of the code. The bonding "grid" is as follows...a wire #8 buried 12-18 inches from the pool wall and 6" deep the entire perimeter of the pool. There needs to be 4 connection points that can be "split Bolt" connections hooked to this perimeter loop and connected to the metal pool wall. These connection points must use DB (direct burial) connectors and can be attached with either nut/bolt connections or sheetmetal screws (stainless is recommended). I usually/always put these as close to the bottom of the shell as possible so they stay below the liner in the coving area. The perimeter loop then will connect back to any bonding lugs on the pump equipment and to a water bond if one is installed which the NEC code calls for. This has to be a 9 square inch or larger surface area in contact with the water. There are several product available for this. One is commonly called a water bug.

Dan

Is this water bug necessary to pass inspection? Does every above ground pool have it? The electrician didn’t say anything about it. He said the water is bonded... I assume it’s from the pump to swg to the one all around the pool....

Not necessarily the water bug but something that bonds the water to the bonding grid. If the electrician said it is then hopefully that is true, if it weren't I would hope the inspector would mention that previously as well.

It would be easier to say for sure if you could post some pics of your plumbing. There may be something along the plumbing that does the job. This is what mine looks like
3XmSiCr.jpg

The first pic has the water bonding part, the second has the bonding to the pump I think that SWG had the control panel in the cell so would not be bonded. So at least all of that is right, hopefully the inspector will accept the wall bonding tomorrow.

Guys!! We passed!!! I wasn’t there because I had a work event to go to so my husband dealt with it. He said the inspector first didn’t believe the seam was the only metal part so he made my husband take another upright post out from opposite end and was only satisfied it was all plastic!! The inspector said he didn’t believe that was the only metal part but ok, so he passed us!! Woot woot! So glad for this to be over!!!!! Thank you everyone for your help! This was my first time dealing with inspector and what a learning experience! Thank you all!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.