Help with badly damaged pump threads

shmerls

Sep 11, 2021
New York Rockland
There has been an unstoppable drip out of our Hayward pump water out port and end connection adapter. I tried extra Teflon, then Christy's Ultra Seal Virgin PTFE. I got it to slow, but being a perfectionist, I decided to really look at the pump's treads. OMG! Here's what I found. I can't begin to imagine who did what or why to these treads. My thought is to use JB PlasticWeld Epoxy, (not their putty) to fuse the adapter (PVC) into the pump (ABS), since the only other way to fix this is replace the pump which would be crazy IMHO. This JB product lists both PVC and ABS usage.

My concern is what if anything to do about them missing chunk of ABS and the 3 lines running out across all threads to the outer rim. The epoxy has a 5+ minute cure time, so I'm thinking maybe fill these "holes" first let the epoxy hold, then fill the PVS adapter's threads with the JB and screw it in. I'm also not sure if I should put the JB on both the PVS outer and ABS inner threads, or perhaps only on the pump's inner threads, but I'm thinking when I screw in the adapter too much epoxy will be pushed into the pump, bad idea I'm thinking.

Here's a look at my challenge. Thanks for your guidance.

Welcome to TFP.

Photo uploads broken right now. Try again in a few days and we will see what advice is best.

S,

Since we can't see the pics yet, tell us if the threads are internal or external to the pump? Tell us what specific pump you have so we can look at it on line..

I'd stick with the slow leak until we can provide some better advice.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Without to go on I'd say get a new housing and fitting. I've never had any luck repairing cracks or threads at the pressures our pumps see. It'll work in a pinch to wait for parts but as Jim said above if you only have a drip I'd leave it... could get a lot worse if you try to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.