Help with a fitting

leis78cal

Jun 20, 2019
OHIO
Pool is plumbed with black poly pipe underground (then connects somehow to pvc at ground level and pvc into pump, but that’s for another convo). Anyhow, underground shortly before pump the black poly pipe has a what looks like a fernco fitting with 2 host clamps (assume maybe they were short when installing or slight bend there to get to pump connections, idk). Well I started sucking air and know exactly where it’s at bc it leaks water with pump off right at one of those hose clamps. I’m not familiar with black poly so is there a better way to replumb this to avoid a fitting there as a weak spot? Can you fuse black poly somehow like pvc?

In case somebody asks was told black poly was the plumbing of choice before flexible pvc in Ohio to allow a little give in freezing winters.

Attachments

• 898235FB-7E7E-4CFA-A4FF-5978AE467476.jpeg
    898235FB-7E7E-4CFA-A4FF-5978AE467476.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 49B3BDC8-0467-44A4-B752-7ED6C36A2C8C.jpeg
    49B3BDC8-0467-44A4-B752-7ED6C36A2C8C.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 7
I would cut as much as the black poly out and covert it to schd 40 PVC. This might help...

A barb fitting into the poly with a hose clamp would be my recommendation. Barb and on PVC. Normally with poly I would heat the poly pipe with a torch to make inserting the barb easier. Just need to be careful to not over do it.

I am guessing the poly line is below the water level so you will likely need to plug the other end of the line or deal with water pouring out of it while you try to work on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.