Help! What to do?

I will test the other numbers and post back in a few. When I tested the CYA level a few minutes ago I filled it to the top of the tube and could see the dot very very faintly. What CYA would that be? Also could I use some Dichlor to shock at the beginning to raise the CYA? Using 8lbs of dichlorvos I can raise my CYA by 14. Is that helpful?

Your CYA is < 20, I would use a shock value of 10. As I said in my other post, the CYA is just going to be converted to ammonia, which is the real enemy! The thing we want to accomplish is to hold a FC chlorine level, if it is only for 2 hours...we want to see that FC holding...

You are Welcome! It will get better, promise! Don't worry about the TA. You can raise the pH using Borax if you want, but I would skip it...your big task is to get bleach in the pool and test as instructed.

Oh, if you raise your pH only raise to 7.2. But l would get to killing that ammonia.

Good news! I have achieved a FC of 17 (oops I got a little impatient) After four hours from last bleach addition I am now at FC 11.5.(target of FC 10) We will see how I do overnight and I can continue with the SLAM tomorrow. I also retested the ammonia and it is now .25. I am assuming that I can test while mid SLAM. I also did another PH reading and it looks like it might be a little lower than 7 now. I have not adjusted PH since the focus was on getting the bleach to the ammonia. I know from reading that PH is unreliable during SLAM. When should I address and at what point will I be able to get an accurate reading? Was the ammonia reading correct or is that not valid during SLAM as well. I am assuming that since I am holding chlorine that the ammonia must be down.

Great news! You pH is not accurate at high (>10) FC levels, so don't worry about the pH now. We will address your pH once the SLAM is over. Yes, you have defeated the ammonia! Seeing that your are holding FC you can start the regular SLAM. What is you current CYA since you started holding FC?

Sounds good. I will have to check the CYA in the morning. Its dark and currently pouring the rain. Would my ammonia test be accurate at FC levels >10?

I'm not 100% sure, depends on the methodology of the ammonia kit (Nessler vs Salicylate)...Anyway I would not be concerned as you are holding FC. If you had ammonia in the pool you would not be able to hold that chlorine, as you well know! what, are you up to 6 bazillion jugs by now?

At any rate we need to get your CYA up to 30 and then maintain a FC of 12 until 1) Pool is Clear (Check - already there) 2) CC = <= 0.5 3) Pass the OCLT (See Pool School). Just remember to keep that FC at or above 10! The rest of the SLAM should be fairly quick!

So FC 4.5 and CC 1.0 this am. I tested CYA and ran out of reagent. Almost had enough so I tested and it looks like it is somewhere near 20. Can I just use Dichlor to shock this am and also raise the CYA? I know this would further lower PH which probably has dropped to 6.8 but would that work or do I need to get stabilizer. I have the Dichlor and would only be using the amount needed to bring up to shock level which would raise my CYA by 5 and lower PH by .21. If I do use dichlorvos is the CYA reading I would get an hour later accurate or like the addition of stabilizer would I need to wait 24 hours?
Thanks,

Before I answer can you post your TA? I never use Dichlor so maybe somebody else could make a guess? If it was my pool I would do the following:

1. get your pH up to 7.2 using Borax (Mule Team 20) or Washing Soda (I don't use...too much chance of precipitating Calcium Carbonate = Cloudy Pool)

2. Get Some Bleach in your pool to raise the FC to 12

3. Add Stabilizer to 30

4. Maintain a FC of 12...Test frequently to maintain that level until it holds overnight (FC drop of less than = to 1 ppm).

Ph = 6.8
FC = 4.5
CC = 1.0
CYA = 20
TA = ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TA 110 also looks like my CYA might be 30 today. I did shock with dichlorvos this am to raise CYA a little and am now back to using bleach. I will get some Borax today to work on the PH. Can I just add it anytime during the process to raise the PH or do I need to wait a certain amount of time. How long after I add can I recheck PH?

TA 110 also looks like my CYA might be 30 today. I did shock with dichlorvos this am to raise CYA a little and am now back to using bleach. I will get some Borax today to work on the PH. Can I just add it anytime during the process to raise the PH or do I need to wait a certain amount of time. How long after I add can I recheck PH?

Ok, maintaining a FC of 12, at all times, is your most important goal! TA is fine for now. If you want to raise your pH to 7.2 wait until your next FC level is below 10, test the pH, then add the required amount of Borax to bring your pH up to 7.2. Then get your FC back to 12. Remember we don't want to interrupt that SLAM.

Premix your Borax in some pool water and add the mixture in front of your return...test the pH after about 30 minutes of circulation. Then get that FC back up to 12! From this point out test nothing but FC & CC...

Yeah CYA was 150 at pool close last year. I had no idea what the numbers even meant until I turned here. I have learned so much in the past few days. Today FC was much more manageable and I only added 6 gallons of bleach. That is much more manageable then the 25 that I added yesterday and the total amount so far of about 44 with an initial addition of 15 pounds of Dichlor before I even started with you guys. The pool didn't really even look that bad to start so its amazing that the numbers were so off. I water was slightly yellow in color but I could always see 10 feet down to the drain. Go figure. Now I think the water looks the best that it ever has. Certainly in the 5 years that we have owned it (there was a previous owner). I will post back tomorrow with more numbers. I also added the borax today to help with the PH but have not retested yet. Nice pictures Jaduk. Those pictures are such a big difference. How long did that take? I can't imagine how much bleach I would have had to use if my water was even close to that color.

It is chemistry at work! Fun stuff, I agree!

If you could use a two part system maybe. The first part would be the bacteria to destroy the CYA...but you still have ammonia to battle! That cost a ton in gallons of bleach! So, introduce the second part, nitrification bacteria (ammonia --> NO2--> NO3)! That would take 4 - 6 weeks. Then do a regular SLAM to kill off the algae feasting on the NO3. I'll just stick with bleach...:D

Nice pictures Jaduk. Those pictures are such a big difference. How long did that take? I can't imagine how much bleach I would have had to use if my water was even close to that color.

If I recall correctly it took about 3 weeks...About 15 or 16 jugs of bleach, and a big bucket of Cal Hypo (needed to get my CA up, so killed two birds with one stone)!

I think I have emerged on the other side. FC held overnight and is 11.5 CC .4 no ammonia TA 150 and PH 7.4 CH 300. Anything I need to do other than maintain? CYA I think is between 30-40 but will need to retest on a sunny day. We are having two days of rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.