Help! What to do?

Most of my heavy dosing has been at night the first couple days and it was gone by morning. Should I only be dosing the 2+/- gallons at night or higher amount since there's no sun to burn it off? Or is that a misconception as well? (pool places have told me both things)

If you dose at night and it is gone by morning you are killing bad stuff...Maintain your FC at 16 during the day or night, you will lose some FC to the sun, but your CYA limits that burnoff. The main thing to remember is to keep your FC at or around 16, as best you can until the following occurs:

1. Pool is crystal clear
2. CC = 0.5 or less
3. Pass the OCLT

Then you are done...

Hi jaduk. So I there is some confusion as Leatherman has also added their pool numbers into the mix. I am the one with the numbers above that started this thread. The pool does not look cloudy and is slightly more blue in color then the picture above. My question is even though I am adding the recommended amount of bleach and retesting every hour, I am not able to get a reading higher than 1.5 even 30 minutes after adding the bleach. I have been at it yesterday and all afternoon today I have added 60 gallons of 12.5% bleach just so far today. I don't think I have even reached the FC 16 that is shock level. Should I add the bleach and test that area immediately after? I can still see blue algae in the weak spots of the pool but the water is pretty clear. I can see the main drains down 10 feet.

Your pool looks excellent! I can hardly tell you have water in the pool! You could be overdosing that pool! 60 gallons of bleach today?

If yes, then that would account for the chlorine in the tap water. You could test your tap water and if the FC level is 4 you know the reagent is good. My only other suggestion is to test your water for ammonia using a fish store ammonia test kit. Otherwise hold tight for the big guns to have a look see! On a side note how old is that bleach, does it smell strong, look at the label there should be a date code?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bleach does smell strong. The date on it is 1707227MA. I am assuming that is 7/22/17. Would that be fresh? Also I used water from the hose to do my reading. I should note that up until this afternoon when I added the scoops of the crystals the water would only faintly turn pink. Now it at least turns bright pink. I could be doing the test wrong for sure. I am using the Taylor 2006 and looking for the sample to turn clear correct? I am assuming from my post above and the answer that the test is over when the sample is clear even if it turns light pink again after 4 seconds or so. Is this correct. When I swirl after a few drops it does go from light pink to clear. if I can keep swirling it might turn light pink again after 3-4 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

XYZ that is correct. I am using the 25ml. I also just tested the tap water that I added and when I added the scoops it did not turn pink at all indicating that there was no FC.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool is also 42,000 gallons.

You want to make sure you see a little bit of the powder undissolved before you start adding drops. If it is turning back to pink after 4 seconds you are not there yet. But I assume that is just causing you to measure 0.2 low because the next drop keeps it clear, right? Expect it to stay clear for 30 seconds once you get there

XYZ is correct! If your tap water has zero FC and your diluted sample has 4 FC then you are bleaching out the dpd indicator dye. Try using the diluted sample plus extra powder or make another dilution (maybe 1:20 or more). I'll bet you a dime to a dollar your FC is very high! Since Saturday how many gallons of bleach have you added?

Oh geez. I watched the video and I am still kinda confused. They added the drops until the water turned clear with a couple of swirls and then quickly moved on. My sample will stay clear for their amount of time but then if I stop swirling for 5 seconds the color is the slightest bit off. If I add another drop then it is back to colorless and if I keep swirling it will mostly stay that way. In the video they move on to CC as soon as the water is colorless for just a second. Sooooo if I do have a super high FC reading because I added 60 gallons of 12.5% bleach today. How long until I should get a reasonable reading.

Tinkerpt -

I think we need to step back and look at your situation a bit... If I'm wrong please stop me, but as I see it, as of this weekend you have added 6 lbs of CLC (Calcium Hypo), 14 lbs of Dichlor, and 110 gallons of bleach. Would this be a good ballpark figure of the amount of total FC you have added? If the answer is yes, then you have added enough FC to get your pool to 372 ppm. The FAS-DPD cannot test this high of a FC level. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I think you are way over-chlorinated! I think you are still bleaching out the DPD reagent, even using the dilution.

Do a 1:50 dilution. 1 part pool water 49 parts tap...mix. Take 10ml of this mixture, add at least two full scoops of powder and perform the test. When you add the powder it should turn very pink. Add drops until clear. Divide the number of drops by 2. Take the resulting number and multiply by 50. Report that result.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.