Help w balance

Joe
If you don't follow the TFP method it won't work. Leave the chlorinator off get the CYA up to 30 and slam per the fc/cya ratio and keep the slam going until the OCLT proves good fc with not more then .5 CC and you've met all 3 criteria. Leave all the pool store junk out of the pool from now on going forward.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you. I thought by adding non chlorine shock thag would attack the organic matter and contaminants so that when I add the liquid chlorine, the new FC can focus on killing bacteria? I thought non chlorine shock abd chlorine shock worked together ????

While I slam, how long do I need to wait after adding liquid chlorine to close the autocover to protect in from sun? I know I need to let the chloramphenicol hades dissipate. FC went to zero overnight so at 5:30 am I added liquid chlorine and went to work. My wife leaves at 8, is 2.5 hours enough time? I want to close it because my cya is so low 11 the chlorine will just disappear in sun. Plus, I have a landscaper coming and don’t want organic material in tbe pool

Last edited:
Is more maybe like the FC 5.8, CC 2.4 (TC 8.2) still needs plenty of slam
Unfortunately it’s what I said. Pool cleared up but maybe because free chlorine went from 0.3 to 2.5….but because I still have 5.8 combined chlorine that means it’s still working on killing something? In addition to SLAN w chlorine, would adding oxidizing non chlorine shock help free up some chlorine like microfloc shock?

Unfortunately it’s what I said. Pool cleared up but maybe because free chlorine went from 0.3 to 2.5….but because I still have 5.8 combined chlorine that means it’s still working on killing something? In addition to SLAN w chlorine, would adding oxidizing non chlorine shock help free up some chlorine like microfloc shock?

Pool store recommended this over liquid chlorine? It’s only $6 a bag, liquid chlorine 12.5% is similar. They said this is more potent w no cya? Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If that's you CC as you say then go searching for nasties by the skimmer throat, behind wier door, pool ladders the hollow parts, light niches or unused plumbing into the pool such as inactive main drain or vac port just to name a few.

Reactions: Joe DeRenzo
Just wondering if this granular shock would do the same thing better, since it’s straight chlorine. It had nothing to do w pool store vs you, it has to do with storage and cost
I used pool math - with your volume of 17500 - 1 gal 12.5 LC raises FC 7.1ppm
Same pool volume - using 70% cal Hypo (68% not on PM app) - 1 lb (16 oz) raises FC 5.0ppm

So which is better to raise FC if the price is the same?

Reactions: Donldson
You have been a member for two years.

MPS - non chlorine shock - makes CC elevated in your pool water. Your elevated CC implies a chemical addition creating it.
Yeah I had started in 2020 when I was looking for a liner. What does that have to do with me remembering and logging in two years later after realizing there was a lot of chemical advice on here when I was searching the internet? I did mention on here earlier in the thread I added that forever clear clarifier. Maybe that did it?

I appreciate your response but I’m really just trying to learn not argue. I guess with your answer now I don’t understand. Does this mean my CC is artificially elevated and it doesn’t really mean anything? Again, I’m trying to learn and figure this out not be insulted and beaten up and treated like Darn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.