Help us start up our new pool! - tiled 6x12m swg

Charlize said:
FC: 15
CC: didnt get much change in color, maybe its 0 or 0,5.
TA: 60
PH: 6,8-7,0
CH:45 (old test result from tap water, havent tested this lately)

will test CYA later today.
Yes. As you probably know, the level of CYA is pretty critical. I would suggest that you test your Calcium Hardness at the same time you do your CYA test. It will provide a more complete picture of your pool's water balance.

Here are some more tests:

CYA: 40-45
salt: 3800 ppm
borates: 0, or very close to 0.
CH: 70

so, CH was 45 in the tap, but is 70 in the pool now. We are using trichlor, so i am not sure there is any point in adding CYA. it will rise on its own from the trichlor. The important thing will be to switch to a pure chlorine when i reach around 80 CYA. Does this sound like a good plan?

Sidenotes:

- outdoor temperature here in thailand is very hot. in the shade we are usually over 35 degrees celsius, even now in the "winter". in summertime, we sometimes get over 45.

- the surface of our pool is ceramic tiles. i want to repeat this info, because i see that its unusual in the USA.

Hi,
I think I read earlier in your thread that the pb gave you cya in addition to the trichlor, is that correct? If so how did you add the cya and when? I would stop adding cya at 70 and see how your pool does. Adding more cya is much easier than draining some water to remove it!

2 days ago the pool guy added a lot of Trichloroisocyanuric acid on the deep end. This is a compound of chlorine and CYA. When i write trichlor i mean trichloroisocyanuric acid. If this is not correct use of the term, let me know, and i will stop. :). CYA has not been added separately as far as i know.

Charlize said:
[test results are]
FC: 15
CC: didnt get much change in color, maybe its 0 or 0,5.
TA: 60
PH: 6,8-7,0

CYA: 40-45
salt: 3800 ppm
borates: 0, or very close to 0.
CH: 70
I think zea3 is concerned that you don't overshoot the mark, no matter how the CYA gets added (by itself or through the use of Trichlor). Very common thing to happen and it does require that you drain off some water when it does.

Even as your CYA goes up to your goal of 70-80 from the Trichlor, you won't need quite the level of Free Chlorine as you have presently. Have you entered your latest test results into the Pool Calculator? It's a very handy tool for determining the right balance (Saturation Index) for your pool. You can also reference this chart that provides typical ranges for SWG pools.

Though pH will naturally rise in new plaster/tiled pools, the current value of 6.8 is too low. This may be from the use of Trichlor. If this were my pool I think I'd want to adjust Calcium Hardness (CH), Total Alkalinity (TA) and pH -- all upwards into the recommended ranges. Also I wouldn't be adding any chlorine for a while (including Trichlor) in order to reduce FC from 15 to around 5 ppm or less. When I finished with those things I would.... go swimming! :-D

yes, that sounds like a good plan. My idea is to start with adding some baking soda, because this will increase both TA and PH, and then take it from there.

I live in a remote area in thailand, 2h to the closest pool shop. I do know how to get baking soda in the local store. But i dont know the thai names for the other things. I will have a talk with the pool guy about what we can buy here.

When i add the baking soda, should i spread it on the deep end or in the skimmer? any preference?

thanks so far!

EDIT: i read more in pool school, and added the first box (200 g) of baking soda. I just spread it on the deep end.

Hello Charlize

To raise your CH you use calcium chloride available here in 50 kg bags 1500 bt

Your TA is okay with an SWG it is good to keep it on the low side when you start the SWG because the ph will want to rise. Acid comes in 20lt containers 450 bt.

my pool numbers are ch 330
ta 50
cya 70
ph 7.7
salt4000
I haven't needed to add any chems for 6 months now except for CYA and salt and calcium chloride to compensate for rain. CYA comes in 2kg buckets 750 bt . my ph stays stable because i keep my TA low which is why i keep my CH a little high. that has to do with CSI index which can be found in the pool calculator.

Happy swims
Frank

Charlize said:
[A]dded the first box (200 g) of baking soda. I just spread it on the deep end.
That's only about 7 oz. Should raise your Total Alkalinity about 2 ppm. You might want to add some more, and/or increase your Calcium Hardness (CH) by a greater amount. See Frank's post, just above. I'm concerned that your balance is too far on the negative side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes, i know 200g is not enough, but thats all i had in the house. We just got back from the store with more, so will add more throughout the day.

I am trying to find out where to buy calcium chloride. if i had it, i would add it :). if i cant find it locally here, i will go to a big city in the next few days.

Increasing CYA by using trichlor is not really a fast process. For every 10ppm FC added with trichlor, you get 6ppm CYA. So, to get a cumulative total of 30ppm CYA (going from current 40 to desired 70) will require a cumulative 50ppm FC from trichlor. Assuming your pool consumes 2-3ppm FC per day, that would take about 3 weeks. Obviously this will vary depending on how fast your pool uses chlorine.

If you're okay with it taking a little while, trichlor will certainly get the job done.
--paulr

i put in about 1 kg of baking soda now. will test later today.

one question: i am guesstimating i will get results of maybe 6-9 chlorine and 7.0 on ph. is it possible to swim in this? We are eager to test the pool! :)

Charlize said:
one question: i am guesstimating i will get results of maybe 6-9 chlorine and 7.0 on ph. is it possible to swim in this? We are eager to test the pool! :)
The pH would be acceptable... 9 ppm Free Chlorine is definitely high based on your reported 40 ppm CYA but I don't think it will kill anybody. (Just what you wanted to hear, right! :lol:) I've swum in 6 ppm chlorine with about that much CYA and didn't notice any difference, so if you're hot... go swimming.

We had a 5 min dip :)

when we were in we tried to feel the water from the inlets. The flow is very up and down. is this normal?

[attachment=0:1i4hq6eo]DSCN0723.JPG[/attachment:1i4hq6eo]

Attachments

• DSCN0723.JPG
    DSCN0723.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.