Help Understanding Salt Level Results

cboneill0099

Mar 3, 2020
Georgia
I use the Taylor salt water test. I recently had my liner changed, so I was starting from basically having 0 salt in the pool. I added salt slowly over the course of 3 days and after that my Taylor kit has been consistently giving me 3600 ppm as my salt level. I recalibrated my salt cell (t-15) to match.

Yesterday I had to give my pool a real good backwash, then I refilled it to the proper level. I’d expect my salt level to go down since I pumped so much out and replaced it with fresh water. My salt cell is now reading 3100, but my Taylor kit is still telling me 3600.

Now I’m not sure if I trust the kit results. Can anyone help me understand these results? My pool is about 32k gallons. When I backwashed I probably dropped it about 2 inches. So I replaced a lot of water. I’m not sure if it makes a difference, but when I use the kit I mix it with the speed stir, I dont swirl by hand.

What’s the surface area of your pool?

How long did you let the pool water circulate before you took the reading?

The K-1766 will provide more accurate results than any salt cell on earth. Always trust your salt test kit..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. It does make me feel better that I am seeing consistent results with the test kit. I guess I’m just confused why it’s not showing any change in the salt level after I dumped so much out and added so much fresh water.

All that does is update the average salinity to match the instant salinity.

The first number is the average salinity, which is a rolling average of the last few instant salinity readings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.