Help! Trying to get new pool under control

I added 5 lb of stabilizer last night but I’m only showing about a 5 on the cya test. I never really lost the dot, but the water was at least cloudy this time. I’m thinking about going and getting some liquid stabilizer. Would that work quicker?

From my understanding and experience, it takes a while for CYA to show well on the test. Usually a day or two depending on how good your circulation is. You are running the pump right? If you used pool math to calculate how much to add to get it to 30, then you should be good unless your CYA was not potent, which I have encountered with brands from Walmart. Pool store CYA has been better but the best I’ve had is Puritech brand from Amazon. It is powder and is less expensive than any local brands and works like a charm. It’s too late for you to order and use now but for future reference.

From my understanding and experience, it takes a while for CYA to show well on the test. Usually a day or two depending on how good your circulation is. You are running the pump right? If you used pool math to calculate how much to add to get it to 30, then you should be good unless your CYA was not potent, which I have encountered with brands from Walmart. Pool store CYA has been better but the best I’ve had is Puritech brand from Amazon. It is powder and is less expensive than any local brands and works like a charm. It’s too late for you to order and use now but for future reference.

Thank you Paul. I have a feeling some of it might have been pretty old. The pump
Is running. There was no cya reading last night either but i assumes it would just take time to get it in the water. Should I add some liquid stabilizer today after I get the CF to 12?

Last edited:
Thank you Paul. I have a feeling some of it might have been pretty old. The pump
Is running. Should I add some liquid stabilizer today after I get the CF to 12?

It’s Crystal. I will let someone more knowledgeable advise you on adding. IMHO I would retest this afternoon. If you added per pool math to reach 30 and you are not seeing an increase to 10 or 15 by this afternoon then perhaps your CYA was not good. A liquid from a good pool store is likely your quickest way to increase CYA, though pricey. But you may not need to add much more. Be sure to use pool math. How many gallons is your pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.