Help! Sand filter pump

Mainslie

Aug 10, 2022
Glendale, Arizona
No idea what brand of pump it is. I know it’s basic. It has a Jandy Valve that’s also basic. Only says inlet on it. No idea what that means. Can’t get it to build pressure, backwash or even get the pump to get the bottom cleaner to work and suck things up. Just bought this house and the home owner didn’t do anything to help this situation. But everything I do doesn’t work. I open the top you can’t see much. But no water and some sand. You open the bottom drain valve and drops come out. I open the basket which was so full of Crud. It had mold growing off the leaves it had been there for a bit.

Attachments

• 61DB27A7-342F-450F-8CC3-5A67630C5662.jpeg
    61DB27A7-342F-450F-8CC3-5A67630C5662.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 039A1B07-5939-4BB7-BCC6-B133AF6C78A6.jpeg
    039A1B07-5939-4BB7-BCC6-B133AF6C78A6.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 18
I am definitely not an expert & do not have an inground pool BUT I know enough to know you will not be able to backwash or do anything with the sand filter if there is no water in it and it will get water from the pump. Is the pump working?

Welcome! :wave: Let's start with some basic things to look for:
1 - Pool water level at proper height. The water level should be at least halfway up the skimmer opening.
2 - Poolside skimmer weir door (flap) working properly and not getting stuck closed.
3 - Pump strainer pot (under the clear lid) should be full of water at all times. If it's empty, turn off the pump, remove the clear lid and fill with water before securing the lid and turning the pump on.
4 - Make sure the O-ring under that clear pump lid is in good shape and well lubed with pool silicone.
5 - That Jandy 3-way valve controls water suction from two places, one of which is closed. Do you know which line is from where (skimmer or main drain)?
6 - Speaking of suction lines, be sure they are still serviceable and not clogged or plugged. The skimmer line should always be open and pulling water to the pump.

Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example.

Reactions: Britali
Exactly what the expert said. And he can guide you to figuring out why your pump is not getting water or if it is why it is not getting to your filter.

Welcome! :wave: Let's start with some basic things to look for:
1 - Pool water level at proper height. The water level should be at least halfway up the skimmer opening.
2 - Poolside skimmer weir door (flap) working properly and not getting stuck closed.
3 - Pump strainer pot (under the clear lid) should be full of water at all times. If it's empty, turn off the pump, remove the clear lid and fill with water before securing the lid and turning the pump on.
4 - Make sure the O-ring under that clear pump lid is in good shape and well lubed with pool silicone.
5 - That Jandy 3-way valve controls water suction from two places, one of which is closed. Do you know which line is from where (skimmer or main drain)?
6 - Speaking of suction lines, be sure they are still serviceable and not clogged or plugged. The skimmer line should always be open and pulling water to the pump.

Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example.
Thank you for that information!
I have no idea which line is from the skimmer or main drain! I would like to figure out how to identify this.

I have no idea which line is from the skimmer or main drain! I would like to figure out how to identify this.
Feel free to post more pics of your equipment pad and pool from various angles and distances so we can see everything. We can help you.

So you have a very simple set up. The only suction line goes into the front of the pump. There is a 3-way valve just before the pump that determines if you pull water from the skimmer or drain. The image below should help you understand how that valve works. Let us know if you have more questions.

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.