Help ! Replacing O-Ring or the whole backwash valve?

Jul 8, 2018
CA/Campbell
The pipe joint connecting to my backwash valve is leaking. (see picture)
I added some patch to slow the leak. But it's getting worse.
InkedIMG_9171_LI.jpg

I opened up the valve and found the o-ring is broken.
Will replacing the o-ring fix this kind of leak?
Or the whole valve needs to be replaced? Thanks!!

IMG_9172.jpg

I don't see your filter info in your signature, but in general, shop online first and compare the "Push/Pull plunger/piston repair kit costs to a complete new one. I saw a Hayward kit recently for just over $50, while the entire assembly was only another $26. For Pentair, one repair kit was $50 versus $90 for the entire valve assembly.

Thanks for the quick reply "Texas Splash"

My valve is Hayward SP-410B
Filter - DE480 S

To replace the whole valve, it will need the piping work. I'm not sure if I can DIY, though I have some kitchen sink piping DIY experience.
If just o-ring or the plugger need repair, it will be much easier to handle myselves.

Looks like the entire assy is about $52 and some change: Amazon.com: Hayward SPX0410BA Handle and Piston Assembly Replacement for Hayward Slide Valve Assembly: Garden & Outdoor. Some PVC DIY effort, but not incredibly technical. Just some cut & piecing together.

Based on your slide details however, an O-ring kit is much cheaper: Amazon.com: TORK Distributors 2" PVC Slide Valve O-ring Kit for Pools & Spas: Garden & Outdoor

Here's another one, but check them all to make sure they will work: Amazon.com: Hayward Filter Slide Valve 2" SP410X Rebuild Kit: Industrial & Scientific

If in doubt, you can call a someplace like InyoPools, Poolcenter.com, or others just to confirm the kit part number. Since the O-ring kits are so cheap, it can't hurt to try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.