NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
Last year when I closed the pool the pump quit working. It would just hum when I flipped the switch on. I tried to jump start it with a screw driver to see if it would spin but that didn’t work so we are thinking we need a new pump. Any other ideas? I was going to have someone come out to check it but with the stay at home order I’d rather not. It is a 1.5HP 2-speed Hayward powerflo matrix.

I also wanted to see if we need that Is the correct size for my pool. We think it is about 13,500gal and we have a little pvc fountain we attach to the return jet.

I want to add a swg and an underwater light. I am assuming I need to add automation or timer? Circupool has a swg and pump package and I am looking at the SJ-40, RJ-30, Edge-25. Other brands, Breeze 540 and LM3-24 or 40. Any recommendations?
Thanks for reading this far.

Last edited:
ETA: I looked at the Hayward aqua-trol but it’s only for 18k and the aquarite but realized it’s for inground.

The humming from your pump might just be the capacitor. You might post a pic of the motor label/info so we can confirm. A capacitor swap can be a DIY for pool owners who are comfortable with opening-up the motor. Capacitors have very reasonable costs compared to an entire motor replacement.

You can also see this link:

As for automation - it depends. You can have lights on a timer or simply use a manual on/off switch. An SWG can be tied-in to the same power source as the pump (i.e. Intermatic timer). The whole thing can be fairly simple or get quite complicated, expensive, and high-tech. Kind of depends how much you wan to spend and all.

The humming from your pump might just be the capacitor. You might post a pic of the motor label/info so we can confirm. A capacitor swap can be a DIY for pool owners who are comfortable with opening-up the motor. Capacitors have very reasonable costs compared to an entire motor replacement.

You can also see this link:

As for automation - it depends. You can have lights on a timer or simply use a manual on/off switch. An SWG can be tied-in to the same power source as the pump (i.e. Intermatic timer). The whole thing can be fairly simple or get quite complicated, expensive, and high-tech. Kind of depends how much you wan to spend and all.

I think my husband determined it did not have a capacitor but I will snap a pic. We want to spend the least amount as possible and the least complicated as possible. The light we had that went out, you had to turn on and off from the switch at the equipment pad and I don’t really like that, just wondering if there was another option. Thanks.

Have you taken the cap off the back? It might have a capacitor there but I doubt it. Most pumps labeled for above ground pools do not have a start capacitor. If giving the shaft a spin didn't help then you probably need a new motor.

157695-23 OEM Capacitor 108uF

$15.08 - 157695-23 OEM Capacitor 108uF (15769523)

157695-23 OEM Capacitor 108uF (15769523)

Note: I don't know the above vendors. I just did a Google search.

Or, take the capacitor to a local electric motor shop for a replacement. Or, here is one from Inyo.

U.S. Seal Manufacturing CAPACITOR, START 108-130 MFD (BC-108) - INYOPools.com

T Y P E : The electrical design of the motor is shown by its type. A.O. Smith uses “CX” to identify its switchless design. Other codes include “CS” for c a p a c i t o r- s t a rt, “S P” for split-phase and “CP” for capacitor start / capacitor run. Be sure to check with the dealer or distributor, because motor type codes may vary among manufacture.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Have you taken the cap off the back? It might have a capacitor there but I doubt it. Most pumps labeled for above ground pools do not have a start capacitor. If giving the shaft a spin didn't help then you probably need a new motor.

We did take the cap off and it was a while ago but I believe it was just the shaft visible. Is a new motor significantly cheaper than a new pump? If so, is it difficult to switch out? My husbands thoughts are that if the motor is badC the rest of it probably is too, is that correct? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We did take the cap off and it was a while ago but I believe it was just the shaft visible. Is a new motor significantly cheaper than a new pump? If so, is it difficult to switch out? My husbands thoughts are that if the motor is badC the rest of it probably is too, is that correct?
A capacitor might be $15-$25 where a new motor some $250 or more. Unless there are problems with the bearings (squealing) or winding's of the motor, you could get several more seasons out of it. But worth a try.

Reactions: adm525
Try a new capacitor.

Remove the back cover.

I don’t see any mention of a capacitor in the manual nor do we see one. As I mentioned, we tried to spin to shaft to start it and that didn’t work, it just hums. Looks like I’ll have to have someone come check it out, I don’t know enough about pumps to diy. Thanks.

Show a picture of the back with the cover removed.

In my first post, I link to a thread with the same pump and motor.

The capacitor is a black cylinder that looks like the links that I provided.

Have you tried uncoupling the pump from the motor and tried running the motor? This is always my first step when diagnosing pump/motor issues because it will tell you if the problem lies in the mechanical side (pump) or the electrical side (motor).

Have you tried uncoupling the pump from the motor and tried running the motor? This is always my first step when diagnosing pump/motor issues because it will tell you if the problem lies in the mechanical side (pump) or the electrical side (motor).

I have not, not really sure how to do that.

If the shaft spins, there's no reason to remove the motor from the pump.

The capacitor should be in the back.

When installing the new capacitor, make sure to get the wires back in place so that they don't get caught by the centrifugal switch weights as they swing out.

If the shaft spins, there's no reason to remove the motor from the pump.

I just assumed it wasn't spinning from the comment here.

Last year when I closed the pool the pump quit working. It would just hum when I flipped the switch on. I tried to jump start it with a screw driver to see if it would spin but that didn’t work so we are thinking we need a new pump. Any other ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.