Help Removing Pentair 08434 Eyeball Inlet Fitting

Diptych

Jul 30, 2021
Bend
We would like to replace the 15 year old eyeball fittings (see pic) we have with either the same new or alternatives. The problem is getting them off! We can easily remove the retainer ring and ball but can not figure out how to get the backing plate/eye receptacle. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.19.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.19.17 AM.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 4
Are you sure they are glued in? A lot of times the fittings are just pressed in but they can be very tight.

When I had my pool resurfaced several years ago I watched the pool folks remove them. They unscrewed the bezel, removed the eyeball, and then used a screwdriver handle inserted into the fitting. Then they used the business end (sticking out into the pool) as a lever and pried it back and forth and worked the fitting out.

I’ve since used the same trick and it works well for stuck fittings.

It won’t work if they are actually glued in place, but I bet they are pressed in.

I hope this helps.

Sure looks like some kind of thin white glue (but not PVC cement) I will try the screwdriver method first. I can see four small tabs (see pic) in the internal diameter on perhaps half of the retainer rings. I'm guessing this is where the tool would need to engage to unscrew the fitting? Not sure what other purpose the tabs would have but they are sheered off in about half.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
The screwdriver method was used for eyeball fittings like the first picture you posted.

That last picture you posted looks like a jet internal. Those are going to be screwed in and won’t pop out using a screwdriver.

Then you should be able to remove the eyeball fitting if it is pressed in. You want a screwdriver handle that is not much smaller than the inside diameter of the fitting. Then using blade as a handle rock it side to side and see if you can get it to start to move. Once it starts to move keep in rocking it back and forth until it works it’s way out.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.