Help Programming VSP

Jun 8, 2017
Sewell, NJ
I need help figuring out the lowest speed I can run my Hayward Maxflo VSP (2303) in order to get my pool to turn over in a day. I tried using Mark's spreadsheet, but I just can't completely understand it.

My pool is about 25,000k with 2" suction and return lines.

I have about 232 feet of total pipe. My equipment pad is below the water level. There are five 45 deg elbows, sixteen 90s, five couplings, two 3-way valves, two ball valves, and one multi-port valve.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

sp,

You are making things much harder than they need to be... :p The idea that you have to have x turnovers a day is a myth...

Here is why you should run your pump...

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

As far as speed goes, we recommend that about 1000 rpm is a low as you should run the pump, because below that speed, the pump becomes less efficient.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I don't have too much debris so the skimmer is not heavily relied on. Also, I do not have a SWG or any other features that require excessive pump speed. So I really only need to distribute the chlorine.

Looking at the spreadsheet, if I run the pump at 1000 rpms, the max GPM is about 25. So that means I should run it 17 hours to cycle the water but that doesn't take resistance into consideration, right? Maybe just start there and adjust?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.