Help Pool pump died while on vacation pool not clearing

Well last night I got the ph up to 7.5 and put in almost 3 gallons of the 10 percent stuff. I just checked omg I can see the bottom :whoot: Just checked the fc and it's 24 it took 48 drops to turn clear cc was still 0. Should I add more chlorine in now? Should try to bring it back up a little bit cause the shock level was 27-30 based on the calculator right? Made more progress in 12 hrs than I did in 2.5 weeks prior :party:

If your CYA level is still 90-100 then the CYA chart says shock is 35 or more. The chart and calculator are both reasonable options. My main point is that you can go higher if you want, the chart value is a safe value also. What I suggest is to target somewhere in the middle of the two and be happy as you see improvement without trying to hit a single precise number.

Thank you for the help! I'm a total pool noob so I'm just confused as to how long I have to keep this shock level is it till it clears totally or when the overnight test comes back losing less than 1.5? I'm gonna be out most of the day today so I'm gonna put another 1.4 gallon of 6 percent in and check tonight.Thanks again everyone!

tu212 said:
Thank you for the help! I'm a total pool noob so I'm just confused as to how long I have to keep this shock level is it till it clears totally or when the overnight test comes back losing less than 1.5? I'm gonna be out most of the day today so I'm gonna put another 1.4 gallon of 6 percent in and check tonight.Thanks again everyone!

Shocking process is a little daunting at first. Basically you keep the levels up until you pass all three criteria:

1) OCLT 1ppm or LESS (1.5 is too much)
2) CC 0.5 or LESS
3) Water is CLEAR (this means not only clear but no signs of algae anywhere - no dusty clouds, no clinging green etc.

When in doubt you can go read it again and again here:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Keep up the work - it will pay off!
:goodjob:

Sweet thanks! So you don't want cc? And here I was yesterday thinking it was bad cause mine showed up as zero haha. I was out most of the day today I poured in 1.4g of 6 percent bleach around 11 this morning enough to raise the fc to 30 from what I was at based on the calculator. When I got back tonight the fc was 22.5. It was overcast pretty much all day not sure if my Wal-Mart bleach is old or if it lost that much in like 8 hrs. I promptly put a gallon of 10 percent in to try to get the fc back to around 30

tu212 said:
I was out most of the day today I poured in 1.4g of 6 percent bleach around 11 this morning enough to raise the fc to 30 from what I was at based on the calculator. When I got back tonight the fc was 22.5. It was overcast pretty much all day not sure if my Wal-Mart bleach is old or if it lost that much in like 8 hrs. I promptly put a gallon of 10 percent in to try to get the fc back to around 30

The higher FC is the more that "burns off" via sunlight. Dropping from 30 to 22.5 isn't odd in the daylight. If you dropped that much overnight that would be an indication of loads of thing growing and eating your chlorine.

Little update, I vaccumed and brushed the whole pool yesterday and it got much cloudier after getting out but by this morning it was clear again, guess that's a good thing cause the skimmer will grab whatever was settled to the bottom. I tried pointing the return jet a little more toward the bottom of the pool to try and churn things up some more. Last night I bumped the level up to around 30 fc again based on the calculator and when I woke up today and checked around 8:30 am fc was around 27.5 so this might be a good sign that the alge is coming to an end. I'm gonna try the overnight loss test tonight and see what happens. Thanks again everyone for the great info! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.