Help please

Kimnlogan

May 20, 2015
Springfield, IL
We were first time pool owners last year (new to us house that came with older pool). I tried the TFP methods and found it overwhelming. We did use the slam method to get the pool open this summer and then switched to using trichlor tabs in a chlorinator for maintenance. We had an issue initially with a broken pipe in the sand filter which was repaired.

All has been well until about a week or so ago. The water suddenly became cloudy. Not green at first but just cloudy. We did some scrub/vacuuming and shocked it with a bag of shock. I noticed at some point that when we turn off the pump (which has been running 24/7 since May for the most part) and then turn it back on it sometimes spits green/dirty water back into the pool. There is no sand like there was when filter part was cracked... jsut green/dirty water. I'm not sure that this has been the sequence every time but last night the sequence was this... vacuuming and got air in the line... turned pump off, opened pump basket to refill with water, closed pump basket and turned pump back on... green/dirty water... not as much as sometimes but definitely there.

Also we are definitely battlling algae now... was visible on edges and bottom of pool ... we shocked with two bags last night and vacuumed... will brush/vacuum again this evening.

I can't check my CYA as I'm out of the reagent but I did add CYA a few weeks ago. My numbers have been GOOD.

today's numbers (similar to every day)

FC 11
CC 0
Ph 7.5
Alk 130

I also have an aquabug going most of the time right now for the last few days.

So... I know that y'all don't care for chlorine tabs and 'shock'... but with that in mine... my questions are twofold...

1) WHY is my return spitting out nasty green/dirty water when I turn the pump off and back on... and how do I fix this??

2) Is the cloudiness from the algae (it wasn't green in the beginning.. just not 'crystal clear' like it had been) or is it from something else and then we just have algae on top of it??

Thanks in advance (especially for those who don't school me in TFP methods.. I get them.. we just can't maintain them at this point)...

(oh... and bonus question... how can my CC be ZERO for days on end when we have so much algae??)

Well, you are kind of guessing until you can get a CYA number.

Also sounds like there is no way you properly followed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you passed the 3 criteria to stop.

1) Sounds like your filter is dirty. Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter?

2) Cloudiness is very often due to algae in the water.

CC and algae can be mutually exclusive ... that is why there are 3 criteria to the SLAM process ending.

Clearly there is still some parts of the TFP methods that you have not fully grasped (we realize it is a lot of information and we are all constantly learning), because if your understood it all, then there would not be any questions to ask ;)

Well, you are kind of guessing until you can get a CYA number.

Also sounds like there is no way you properly followed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you passed the 3 criteria to stop.

1) Sounds like your filter is dirty. Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter?

2) Cloudiness is very often due to algae in the water.

CC and algae can be mutually exclusive ... that is why there are 3 criteria to the SLAM process ending.

Clearly there is still some parts of the TFP methods that you have not fully grasped (we realize it is a lot of information and we are all constantly learning), because if your understood it all, then there would not be any questions to ask ;)

1) We put all new sand in it in May when we repaired the filter stand
2) Ok... but would it be clear/cloudy with algae or green?

As for CC ...how can it be mutually exclusive if the chlorine is actively binding to and killing the algae?

And yes... CC were zero, no overnight chlorine loss and water was clear... but that was weeks ago when we started.

Our best guess on the green stuff shooting back in is there is sand channeling??

A low level algae bloom being slowly killed by low chlorine levels can make the water cloudy and not green.

Because the sun and FC break down the CC ... so you may not measure it.

Since is no longer clear, sounds like the SLAM needs to happen again ... or at least do the OCLT to see if you still pass which would point to more of a filter problem.

A low level algae bloom being slowly killed by low chlorine levels can make the water cloudy and not green.

Because the sun and FC break down the CC ... so you may not measure it.

Since is no longer clear, sounds like the SLAM needs to happen again ... or at least do the OCLT to see if you still pass which would point to more of a filter problem.

Ah, so perhaps that was my early issue... low level algae. and yes, getting ready to slam again as it definitely looks better today with a couple packets of shock last night. Hubby is grabbing the bleach on his way home from work. Thanks!

Any ideas on why the filter is putting back nastiness though??

I did a backwash and rinse a few minutes ago and no yuckiness came back this time. I'm glad but still confused as to why it happens sporadically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.