Help please ...out of balance

If you are still burning through a lot of chlorine at each test time, than you either need to test/add more or wait it out. It’s stinks. Believe me, I know it stinks to sit there babysitting the pool. But if the FC drops substantially below slam level it just drags out the process.

due to life getting in the way it also may not be possible to test twice as much as you are. We all have jobs and families/commitments too. I get it. But then you just have to be patient that it will take longer.

also, have you tested after you add to verify the bleach is good and you are getting to target FC ? It could be weakened bleach dragging out as well.

All my empty bottles start with 2018. Too old?
The next digit matters. (2018X) It was made on the 18X th day of 2020. Sometime in July and plenty fresh, but Home Depot lets them sit in the sun many times and it degrades much faster than it should. Especially seeing how you aren't making much progress, you should test 15-30 min after adding to verify you got to the target. Otherwise you haven't yet been to SLAM level and thats why there is no real progress.

Yes you get it..very frustrating to see green water that's not showing improvement when putting in a huge effort and at least 10+ gal chlorine this slam. I can't even see the the bottom of pool..only 1st step...but I'm still brushing.
Do you know how to determine if chlorine is weakened, how to tell date. All my empty bottles start with 2018. Too old?

They are Julian dates only the first five digits matter. Yours is the 184th day of 2020 or July 2nd 2020

Old post from another thread with explanation and link to Julian calendar

Follow-up: I must have a new resistant strain of algae. Tested and added chlorine 11× yesterday to fight it and still a green pool. No significant change..
This morning test..
FC 15
CC 1.5
TC 16.5
TA 120
CH 325
CYA 35
Any suggestions?
Thanks..

Is it possible to add 1 trichloro-s-triazinetrione Max Blue Tabs from HD in a floater in the middle of the SLAM? I need to step away from sitting the pool for 24hrs and I don't want to lose any progress that may have been made this week. Just want to be sure it is safe when SLAM target is currently 14ppm of liquid chlorine in pool. Thanks for a response?

Were you able to test within 15-30 min of adding chlorine as Newdude suggested? If so what was the result?

For the CYA test the scale between numbers isn't linear so if you are reading between 30 and 40 round up and your new CYA level is 40. So your slam level is 16ppm

Is it possible to add 1 trichloro-s-triazinetrione Max Blue Tabs from HD in a floater in the middle of the SLAM?
I would not. One, they will add little in that time. And two, they are not good to use as they have copper in them. Just test and add chlorine when you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Were you able to test within 15-30 min of adding chlorine as Newdude suggested? If so what was the result?

For the CYA test the scale between numbers isn't linear so if you are reading between 30 and 40 round up and your new CYA level is 40. So your slam level is 16ppm
Yes tried every 30 minutes all afternoon and evening.FC 8.5, 8.5, 11.5, 9, 14.5, 14.5, 16.5, 16, 14.5, 13, 14. This morning FC 15ppm.

Yes tried every 30 minutes all afternoon and evening.FC 8.5, 8.5, 11.5, 9, 14.5, 14.5, 16.5, 16, 14.5, 13, 14. This morning FC 15ppm.
After that reading of 8.5 how much chlorine did you add? And then the 2nd 8.5 was ~15-30 min after that addition?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.