Help please! Intellichlor cell vertical orientation

May 6, 2018
Porter Ranch
Sorry, I tried to search but don't seems to be able to find an answer, and pentair lvl1 support wasn't much of a help neither.

Due to the limited space between heater and return, i am sure i will need to re-plumb vertically to extend the distance and will have a "n" shape somewhere to get a 12" straight pipe requirement before flow sensor as well as 3ft distance from heater.

Main question is.. is there a performance/safety preference to which side of the vertical (up flow vs down flow) to put the cell? I would think down flow with gravity (but then the display will be upside down)?

2nd question... how would you guys would recommend to plumb?

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0418 2.jpg
    IMG_0418 2.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5244 2.jpg
    IMG_5244 2.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 86
You most certainly need upflow. The flow switch can be activated by gravity. It’s a hard stop and a flimsy piece of aluminum. If you mount with down flow it will think there is flow 24/7. My IC60 makes an immediate 90 degree out of the heater to the SWG. Including the bend it’s probably only 10 inches. I didn’t know it was frowned upon until the first cell reached end of life and I read the new ones manual.

Mine’s plumbed this way. I’ve seen the flow sensor work properly indicating no flow when the pump is off.
Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely THRILLED that you have been lucky. But you have been lucky.

Hmm so sounds like both ways have pro and cons,

upflow = less restriction on pressure switch, but any worries of the chlorine (liquid or gas) traveling back down (to heater) if the pump/swg both were to abruptly shut off (living in an area where power outages pretty often during summer)?

If it were mine I would mount horizontal and come straight out of the heater to the flow switch do a wide U and back out..Yours would be different but this is the "U" I am talking about

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 105
Pentair specifically states that when installed vertically, 'Upward Flow' through the SWCG is imperative to safely operate.
Your current installation is not considered a safe condition.

Pentair specifically states that when installed vertically, 'Upward Flow' through the SWCG is imperative to safely operate.
Your current installation is not considered a safe condition.
I just read the 2016 version manual (the latest I see). It shows one drawing with upward flow, but where does it say what you say? I mean there's a dozen warnings in there so maybe I missed it, but nowhere do I see "lookout downward flow is unsafe"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair Manual, page 5 indicates the installation preference.

The flow switch is a spring metal device that has been seen to fail. When aligned as you have the SWCG, that failure can result in the flow switch failing closed (on) and the cell generating while there is no flow.

Your choice. We just point out issues that can result in undesirable outcomes.

I just read the 2016 version manual (the latest I see). It shows one drawing with upward flow, but where does it say what you say? I mean there's a dozen warnings in there so maybe I missed it, but nowhere do I see "lookout downward flow is unsafe"

The only vertical drawings I saw in the manual is the one for system with flow higher than 80GPM and needed a bypass to lower the flow into the swg, is that what you saw too?

I have had 2 units and both flow switches were so flimsy that just picking the unit up when cleaning it made the switches click and clack on/off. I posted this a while back on a similar thread and another user was able to shake his without it moving. Maybe some random units are springier than others, I dunno. But I wouldn’t trust it to not fail regardless.

Also, after my old unit reached end of life, I removed the flow switch and kept it in case I needed one because it was still functioning fine. It is only a piece of aluminum with no actual springs.

I agree that a mechanical failure of the mechanism could lead to an issue. So can an electrical failure in any orientation for that matter. As an engineer, there's zero chance I would design that thing with a simple flappy gravity sensitive flow switch. Mine seems more robust than that but I never looked at it with an eye towards reliability.

I've actually emailed the PB to see if they will comment on the issue. Maybe they will learn something. I have to think they've had lots of Pentair training (I know that does not guarantee correctness). They are huge in the Phoenix area. They claim 30000 pools installed. If 1% of them are intellichlors installed wrong they've got a huge potential liability.

Reactions: markayash
So it sounds like upflow is the best for flow switch reliability, but what about flow performance and safety? I would like to run my variable speed pump at the lowest gpm allowed for energy saving reasons, which sounds like ~20gpm from intellichlor manual, will going upflow increase the flow sensing resistance on the flow switch and cause me to run at a higher speed? Also any safety concerns of going upflow? Will it cost gas build up or higher risk of backflow if power to pump stopped abruptly?

Well, interesting. Within 2 hours of my email to the PB, I got a phone call. They've reviewed the install photos they took and have scheduled an appointment for replumbing. I didn't ask for re-plumbing, just an opinion. I'm assuming the re-plumb is no charge but I'll have to verify that.

I'd take this as strong evidence you guys are right, should be upflow. Somebody at the PB thinks a replumbing is in order. I'm going to let them. It will be interesting to see if it changes how my cell operation affects my ORP (yes, I know - ORP sucks according to lots here). I think Pentair should rev their manual to add an official WARNING about correct mounting.

HouseofPang - I wouldn't think you will see much extra cost using upflow installation.

EDIT - verified this will be a warranty replumb.

Last edited:
will going upflow increase the flow sensing resistance on the flow switch and cause me to run at a higher speed? Also any safety concerns of going upflow? Will it cost gas build up or higher risk of backflow if power to pump stopped abruptly?
There are no known issues installing the SWCG in the upflow configuration. As far as flow rate needed, that is very dependent on plumbing design, whether or not you have a heater, and your filter size/type.

Build up of gasses are not an issue as the system is designed to be fluid filled when running and the gasses will be carried out of the system to your returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.