CPM10V

Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve reached the point of replacing my pool pump & filter. The old one is a single speed with a sand filter. I’d like to have a Pentair variable speed pump and their cartridge filter. I’m just a little bit confused on which version of either I need there are several different types of Pentair variable speed pump‘s etc. The pool is approximately 24,000 gallons a rectangular shape with a diving half and the play/shallow half. I had heard you should buy a larger filter than you need but again just looking for advice on which version I should be looking at. Would this also be a good time to convert the pool to saltwater or should I wait to do that once I have the pool interior refinished (it’s shot too)? Thank you for any advice some of you pool expert’s could provide.

Welcome to the forum!
The best Pentair VS pump is the Intelliflo. I have the 011018. Great pump. As far as filter, if Pentair, the CCP 420 I believe would be the smallest to get for your pool.
SWCG is a great time saver. Now, if you do not add automation, the integration of the VS pump and the SWCG is not possible. So that is something to consider.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks for the info. Is there a particular filter type or manufacture you prefer versus Pentair for a filter? Do you advise buying all primary components from the same manufacture or are certain brands better at making certain components and therefore mixing and matching is the best method? I ordered the 100 test kit from TFT pools.net last night looking forward to testing my water with it. I’m a new pool owner since February and have been using some of the Leslie’s products but looking to get off their Kool Aid. Yes have read a lot on this site, a great resource.

Can you recommend somewhere to get more information on the topic of automation? I’m not real familiar with how that works in the pool equipment sense does that refer to some sort of software that allows the pump, filter and salt water unit to speak with each other?

The filter is a 'dumb' device. No correlation to one manufacturer vs another and does not talk to automation.
It really comes down to a choice. I like my cartridge filter, others love their sand filter or DE filter.
All manufacturers make a reliable filter.

Are you doing this work DIY or hiring it done? That changes the warranty aspect as the majors, Pentair, Jandy, Hayward, do not provide much of a warranty for DIY installs.

On automation, do you have a spa? Go to Pentairs' website and read up on the Easytouch and their new system, Intellicenter.

I would stick with one brand for my pool equipment. They all have their plus and minus points, so look for whoever offers the best local service. If you buy from a local outlet and have them install it you will usually get a 3 year warranty. If you buy and install it yourself you get a 90 day warranty, so you may want to compare the cost difference of DIY vs dealer to find the better value. For me, if the savings of DIY was a couple of hundred over dealer install with a 3 year warranty I would go with the 3 year warranty.

We have several threads on automation systems in the "Equipment use, build, and repair" forum. Just search for automation in the search box, upper left corner, and press the G button for search results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.