is pump bad

inatae

Sep 18, 2018
Kennesaw, GA
We are in the process of having our pool built. The pool electrician came yesterday and wired all of the equipment. There is no water in the pool yet. We noticed the pump humming this afternoon. After contacting the PB, they called and asked us to check the breaker box. All breakers were in the on position. PB told us to flip all breakers off. They said it should be fine, but they were going to let the electrician know he left them all on.
My question..... SHOULD WE BE CONCERNED, OR Is there a way to check for damage to the pump? Would we know right away, after filling pool, if the pump has sustained any damage, or is it a slow process?
Thanks so much for your help....

Last edited:
To repeat - Have them replace that pump. No questions.

Reactions: inatae
A pump running dry for more then a few minutes overheats the seals and will likely develop leaks over time. May look okay for a while but the life of the pump has likely been compromised.

It may be time for you to put details of your pool and equipment in your signature in addition to posting pics.

A pump running dry for more then a few minutes overheats the seals and will likely develop leaks over time. May look okay for a while but the life of the pump has likely been compromised.

It may be time for you to put details of your pool and equipment in your signature in addition to posting pics.

Thanks... I will definitely do that... sometimes it takes me a minute to work the site.... I’m like the dog always chasing a different squirrel.... getting distracted with all of the great information and pictures ?‍♀️?

The pump on the far right was the one humming..... number 5 on the electric panel.

This forum and all who contribute are such a blessing. ?

Last edited:
You have 3 pumps. Any of them that were running dry should be replaced.

The timer for your cleaner pump is ON. Can't say if the water feature pump timer was on or off at the time.

In my opinion, it's ridiculous for a new pool not to use a variable speed pump.

The water feature pump should be variable speed or a dedicated waterfall pump. However, the suction has to be sized correctly to get a water feature pump to work properly. It looks like they undersized the suction on the water feature pump.

In my opinion, salt is the way to go.

I think that automation is the way to go whether you get salt or not.

By the time you buy a bunch of timers for everything, you could have gotten an automation box.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are in the process of having our pool built. The pool electrician came yesterday and wired all of the equipment. There is no water in the pool yet. We noticed the pump humming this afternoon. After contacting the PB, they called and asked us to check the breaker box. All breakers were in the on position. PB told us to flip all breakers off. They said it should be fine, but they were going to let the electrician know he left them all on.
My question..... SHOULD WE BE CONCERNED, OR Is there a way to check for damage to the pump? Would we know right away, after filling pool, if the pump has sustained any damage, or is it a slow process?
Thanks so much for your help....
I would check with Pentair, (leave the blame out of it), then bring their answer to the general contractor, and take it up with him. It was pure negligence on the electricians part. IMO, if it goes to the contractor's board, they will probably compromise with you having your pumps rebuilt by a pool pump re builder.

Reactions: inatae and Rq120
I would mandate that they replace the pumps and to bring out new ones while the old ones were there - I would take pictures of all the serial numbers to make sure he doesn't drive off, have lunch and come back w the same pumps.

As stated, once a PB states a complete and utter lie about a pump running dry for XX hrs and it will be fine, everything else is 100% suspect...hopefully your still owe them some large payments - hold back the $$$$ until they replace the pumps...good luck

I would mandate that they replace the pumps and to bring out new ones while the old ones were there - I would take pictures of all the serial numbers to make sure he doesn't drive off, have lunch and come back w the same pumps.

As stated, once a PB states a complete and utter lie about a pump running dry for XX hrs and it will be fine, everything else is 100% suspect...hopefully your still owe them some large payments - hold back the $$$$ until they replace the pumps...good luck

Thanks so much...

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's ridiculous for a new pool not to use a variable speed pump.

The water feature pump should be variable speed or a dedicated waterfall pump. However, the suction has to be sized correctly to get a water feature pump to work properly. It looks like they undersized the suction on the variable speed pump.

In my opinion, salt is the way to go.

I think that automation is the way to go whether you get salt or not.

By the time you buy a bunch of timers for everything, you could have gotten an automation box.

Oddly, the PB never gave us any of these options.... ?‍♀️

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.