Help needed, slightly cloudy water, can't find the culprit.

matpic

Jul 30, 2017
Pipe Creek/San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello, so things have changed since the last time I posted. I had to get a new pool as the Intex one rusted through all the poles. So I bought a longer lasting steel wall resin SWG rated ABG.
Last year everything was beautiful the whole year. Closed it down by bringing it to shock levels and covered it for the winter. Opened it up and it was still nice and clean, all was good except some silt on the bottom of the pool.
Then the rain came, and came and came. I finally vacuumed most of the silt up, had to order a new micro filter for the rest that's coming today (i use a pool blaster battery powered vacuum and the filter wasn't catching all the fine particles and would blow it back out the exhaust).
Anyways. The water is clearish. You can see the bottom but it's not clear...when in the pool with goggles on, i used to be able to see clearly to the other side. Now we cannot. My PH is a bit high so I was going to add some baking soda to get the TA up just a tad before I put in the acid to drop them both back down.
How do I get rid of this cloudy water? I've never had an infection or algae bloom to where my cc was higher than .5. Never had an issue where the overnight test failed. I only use this site and the pool calculator when managing this pool. Thought about a clarifier but I came here to get thoughts and see they are not recommended. We have pretty dirty rain out here. Is it just that I have a sand filter and with all that rain it's going to take time to filter it out?

Thanks,

ABG 18,500 gallon
SWG (Saltron Retro Jet)
Hayward 180T Sand Filter
Hayward Matrix 1.5hp Dual Speed pump.

FC 5
CC <.5 (hardly turns color and 1 drop clears it)
PH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 70
Salt 3500
CH 190
Borates 45

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 8
Do not raise your TA to add acid. Your TA is fine. Your pH is fine too, but if you wish to lower it to 7.6, that is OK.

Have you done an OCLT?

You can try Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool if you are confident you do not have an algae issue.
I have done the overnight test. And it looks good. I have some de powder I just added to see if that helps.

Reactions: mknauss
Well, I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if it’s doing what it’s supposed to. I make a slurry in a 5 gallon bucket 2 gallons of water and a cup and a half of de powder and mix it. Dump it slowly into the skimmer and the pressure goes up 1 psi, stays like that for an hour and then raises by almost 10psi over the next hour. I backwash and instead of the brown i normally see it’s the white creamy DE mess and it only takes about 30 seconds to become nice and clear again. Is this what I should be expecting? I’ve never done this before, just kept DE powder on hand if I needed extra filtering as I read on here it can help.

Add less DE next time
All the DE is doing is making your sand filter uniformly 'dirty' so it will capture fine solids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.