Help needed should I drain my pool?

Mikeyvaz

Mar 15, 2019
Gilbert
Pool went south after summer levels are way off. lots of build up calcium dirt stains. Should I drain and get acid wash. Or is their hope without draining? Local pool numbers attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• A921E921-789F-4651-8999-6C6824B53E6B.jpeg
    A921E921-789F-4651-8999-6C6824B53E6B.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 42
Welcome to the forum!

IF those numbers are close to correct, you will need to exchange your pool water for fresh.
This forum advocate’s pool owner testing. Order a TF-100. It is properly sized for the residential pool owner.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C.

I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

How did they test your water? Most CYA tests only go up to 100 so for them to have a reading of 300 is unusual. Like Marty said you REALLY need to get your own test kit as most pool stores don't do the test correctly or if it a machine they do not calibrate it as needed.

IF those numbers are even close then yes you do need to remove and replace quite a bit of the water. As for draining and acid washing that is up to you. Just know the acid wash will remove some of the plaster and that could shorten your plaster's life.

How did they test your water? Most CYA tests only go up to 100 so for them to have a reading of 300 is unusual. Like Marty said you REALLY need to get your own test kit as most pool stores don't do the test correctly or if it a machine they do not calibrate it as needed.

IF those numbers are even close then yes you do need to remove and replace quite a bit of the water. As for draining and acid washing that is up to you. Just know the acid wash will remove some of the plaster and that could shorten your plaster's life.

I do have my own kit K-2006 just not too comfortable reading it. I better start after this problem . So if I drain most of the water and start fresh what could I add for the dirt scale ? I really do hate to acid wash since pool got redone a few years ago.

Thanks

Mike,

My advice is this: water is cheap compared to your finish, even in Arizona. Refil per the experts here to get good water then follow the TFP method. A good scrubbing may make the pool acceptable or better. If not then maybe you go with a more aggressive cleaning. There are LOTs of people here with Arizona experience. TFP method is easy and avoids all the pitfalls with just a little effort each week. See the link in my signature that describes my pool experience here. It may contain some helpful stuff for you. Also, do the tests yourself. You'll gain confidence as you get repeatable test results. It takes some care and effort to do the tests right. Pool stores are notorious for getting bad results. They need to do maintenance on their machines to get good results, also they need to test with good lab techniques. Not all do this and you just don't know if they are doing it right or not until you've made your problem worse and usually spent hundreds of $ with no improvement.

Good luck!

Chris

Mike - if you have a K2006 but have not been using it, be aware the reagents have a shelf life. If stored under controlled conditions, they can last two seasons. But if kept in your garage or shed in Arizona, after one season, they are toast. Order a complete refill bundle from TFTestkits.

Welcome
1. These test results are way off...as Marty stated, how old are your testing chemicals and where are they stored? If you have a nbor or friend that has 1 yr or less and kept inside chemicals, I suggest you two test your water w their chemicals then post back.
2. Yes, you need to drain for sure if those results are correct...and, before you fill your pool, scrub and clean
3. Before you fill your pool part 2, test your fill water for pH, CH. This can help immensely on how to prepare your pool

Post back and let us know

I wouldn't trust the pool store numbers. I'd at least get results from one if not two more pool stores.

Ideally, Id buy the TF-100 kit and do the tests yourself. Once you get the hang of using the kit, which is
not difficult, you will get much more consistent and reliable results.

IF your numbers are that high, particularly CYA and CH, then you will need to drain basically all of the water
and refill it. If it's an inground time, may be a good time to scrub, paint and maintain your pool at that time.
Don't trust that the pool store numbers are correct.

I took my water to 3 different stores. Two had the same name but were on different sides of town. All three were national brand stores. I got three VERY results with the "fix" ranging in cost from $50 to $124 :shock: The bad part? I had tested my water at home right before I left AND tested the same water again when I got home (I had it in a large bottle to make sure I would have enough of the exact same water to run all of these tests). My water was within range for all things. I will say my pH was up a little and FC down a little when I got home but it was still within range!

SO taking it to two different stores will not really help you much UNLESS you know they use the drop kit like we do and make sure to rinse all vials and take their time with the tests.

Kim:kim:

I think the most valuable part of using multiple stores is the expectation that you will get some largely different results, and realize that "most" pool store tests are full of bologna. A real testing kit like the TF-100 used by someone versed in it is the best way to get accurate results :)

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.