Help Needed! I don't understand...

Can’t be mad at it lol 😂 definitely better than weak stuff for outrageous prices!
Try these to find good sources for fresh & cheapish liquid chlorine. Lots of good places in texas
Most of those places are 2 hours from me, does anyone get theirs delivered from someone reputable?

Most of those places are 2 hours from me, does anyone get theirs delivered from someone reputable?

Ok I’m getting so baffled. Check out my logs for today.

31 last night, to 27 this morning, overnight loss of 4.

I’m at 11 FC and 1 CC at 8pm. Just added 1 gallon to get back over slam, should take it to 19 FC, going to check in 30 minutes.

The pool is scrubbed clean, the bot is scrubbed clean, the skimmer clean, the sand filter pressure good, even with a little DE added.

Can the direct Texas sun really obliterated that much chlorine in a day, my CYA is 40?

I’m just at a loss, the pool literally couldn’t be cleaner from what I can see.

Staying the course but honestly it’s costing me too much and I have a SWG just not being used during the slam.

I’ve added nearly 300 pcm of chlorine, over the last week, I’ve added 6lbs of Dichlor on top. I’ve done the slam process before no problems, I’ve read every tip, every article.

This is killing me… what am I doing wrong?? My last thing it could be is the sand filter, that’s the only place I’ve not deep cleaned and I was hoping to avoid it honestly as its connected to all my pvc piping.

Have you removed and scrubbed inside the stairs?

I had one slam. Thank the lord. I didn't realize my hollow tube stair steps could harbor bacteria that ate through my FC. Cleaned. BAM! No OCL.

Take those stairs out and clean them thoroughly, 10:1 water bleach. SCRUB!

1688520609114.png

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have you removed and scrubbed inside the stairs?

I had one slam. Thank the lord. I didn't realize my hollow tube stair steps could harbor bacteria that ate through my FC. Cleaned. BAM! No OCL.

Take those stairs out and clean them thoroughly, 10:1 water bleach. SCRUB!

View attachment 510505
I actually removed them a few months ago for that reason. I had a simply solid plastic ladder that’s removed.

I actually removed them a few months ago for that reason. I had a simply solid plastic ladder that’s removed.
Fwiw - there are ways to modify steps like that to prevent algae from growing in them. Adding lots of holes for circulation & such. Along with ensuring any weights are completely sealed. If you want to try them again in the future we can help you sort that out. I gotta have my steps, my knees & ankles don’t appreciate a ladder one bit!
As for the deep clean it can be pretty helpful. It is a good idea to install unions for easy access/replacement of equipment. So if you have to cut pipes to access the sand add some unions.
The deep clean is something that should be done every couple seasons anyway.
& yes the sun wreaks havoc on high fc levels. the higher they are the worse this is which is one reason why it’s not recommended to go above slam level for your cya as it wastes chlorine. The ammonia problem consumed alot of that chlorine- this is not uncommon. It was extended a little because you added cya.
But, From now on you know that if fc is zero & so is cya to do the ammonia protocol before adding cya so hopefully if it ever happens again (let’s hope not) it won’t be as thirsty for your liquid gold!
Try not to get discouraged by the day time losses, just stay on it, dosing as frequently as you can. Your overnight losses are getting better & better which means you’re getting there. As mentioned, sand filters can just take time to clear. You’re in the patience part now. It will come.
Not sure if this was mentioned previously but clean your beaker with alcohol & rinse it to be sure it’s not causing interference with the cc’s test. It’s seen alot of action over the last week 😊

Reactions: TitanBrave
Some people have had luck contacting pressure washing or janitorial chemical suppliers. May be worth a shot to google and find some in your area. I purchase my liquid chlorine from a local mom & pop pool store that runs routes. They do 2.5 gallon refillable jugs with a deposit & their stuff is always fresh- it also beats the Wally World price. It never hurts to call around- all they can say is no. I have a swg but I refill 4 jugs at opening & at closing time. I use any leftovers for winter top offs & in my hot tub.
We had a torrential storm today & I was glad I had some on hand to dump in. I think there was an entire oak tree worth of leaves in my pool!

Reactions: TitanBrave
Fwiw - there are ways to modify steps like that to prevent algae from growing in them. Adding lots of holes for circulation & such. Along with ensuring any weights are completely sealed. If you want to try them again in the future we can help you sort that out. I gotta have my steps, my knees & ankles don’t appreciate a ladder one bit!
As for the deep clean it can be pretty helpful. It is a good idea to install unions for easy access/replacement of equipment. So if you have to cut pipes to access the sand add some unions.
The deep clean is something that should be done every couple seasons anyway.
& yes the sun wreaks havoc on high fc levels. the higher they are the worse this is which is one reason why it’s not recommended to go above slam level for your cya as it wastes chlorine. The ammonia problem consumed alot of that chlorine- this is not uncommon. It was extended a little because you added cya.
But, From now on you know that if fc is zero & so is cya to do the ammonia protocol before adding cya so hopefully if it ever happens again (let’s hope not) it won’t be as thirsty for your liquid gold!
Try not to get discouraged by the day time losses, just stay on it, dosing as frequently as you can. Your overnight losses are getting better & better which means you’re getting there. As mentioned, sand filters can just take time to clear. You’re in the patience part now. It will come.
Not sure if this was mentioned previously but clean your beaker with alcohol & rinse it to be sure it’s not causing interference with the cc’s test. It’s seen alot of action over the last week 😊
This is great advice and much appreciated! I’ve had to order more testing fluid from TFT! Lol. The 10ML line has faded already!!

Yeah, you’re totally right and I didn’t realize that a very high chlorine level would mean fast depletion. My big win today was 11 FC to 19 FC when I added a gallon of LC! Just to know that my math is working made me happy!

You’ve spurred me on sir! Thank you. I did notice tonight when brushing I could make out the brush on the bottom of the pool. I haven’t been able to see that all week! Every day I wake up and hope that it’s clear lol.

This is great advice and much appreciated! I’ve had to order more testing fluid from TFT! Lol. The 10ML line has faded already!!

Yeah, you’re totally right and I didn’t realize that a very high chlorine level would mean fast depletion. My big win today was 11 FC to 19 FC when I added a gallon of LC! Just to know that my math is working made me happy!

You’ve spurred me on sir! Thank you. I did notice tonight when brushing I could make out the brush on the bottom of the pool. I haven’t been able to see that all week! Every day I wake up and hope that it’s clear lol.
I am a ma’am but thanks 😊 you’re getting there! We often tell people to take a picture with the pole in the water or at the steps each day to help gauge the true improvement because it can seem like there’s not any when you just look out & see cloudy water.

I am a ma’am but thanks 😊 you’re getting there! We often tell people to take a picture with the pole in the water or at the steps each day to help gauge the true improvement because it can seem like there’s not any when you just look out & see cloudy water.
Oh no 🙈 I’m so sorry! Thank you ma’am!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok everyone, so I feel I’m getting closer I can see the pool bot a lot better, I couldn’t see it before. Still milky/cloudy.

I did notice in my filter of my bot some sand, does this look like filter sand? I’m trying to ascertain whether my kids in the past brought it in, or if it’s from my sand filter. I have a doughboy sand filter.

Thoughts on this picture…

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 11
Great about the progress 👍🏻
As for the sand?- hard to tell from the picture, maybe take some out & put it on a paper towel.

Great about the progress 👍🏻
As for the sand?- hard to tell from the picture, maybe take some out & put it on a paper towel.
Im going for it. Time to clean that filter. I removed the cap on the bottom to drain it and it was slimy green sand in the hold, smelt of chloramines so I know the chlorine is getting there.

• Wow
Any tips, I’ve deep cleaned my sand filter. I don’t want to connect it all up if my sand actually needs replacing. Is there any tell tale signs.
If it’s all clumpy & the hose doesn’t break it up is the sign. Otherwise if it looks like sand should look you should be good 👍🏻 Sand only usually gets trashed from floc.
Be sure it’s filled to the appropriate level.
If you’re concerned that sand may be getting through a cracked lateral you may wanna put it back together & get those on order. You can empty the sand out (with a shop vac) check the condition of the laterals & put it all back.
Did you get some unions?

If it’s all clumpy & the hose doesn’t break it up is the sign. Otherwise if it looks like sand should look you should be good 👍🏻 Sand only usually gets trashed from floc.
Be sure it’s filled to the appropriate level.
If you’re concerned that sand may be getting through a cracked lateral you may wanna put it back together & get those on order. You can empty the sand out (with a shop vac) check the condition of the laterals & put it all back.
Did you get some unions?
I didn’t that’s todays job, what I’ve been doing is just buying PVC pipe and connecting then sawing through it. Do you have an suggestions to make it so I can remove them easily?

I didn’t that’s todays job, what I’ve been doing is just buying PVC pipe and connecting then sawing through it. Do you have an suggestions to make it so I can remove them easily?
I am not sure I understand your question.
You would make a cut where you want a union to be then make another cut to allow for the space taken up by the inside of the union (you’ll need to measure the one you have).
Then you put the collar on the correct side of the cut pipe & glue the two “slip” parts of the union to the corresponding pipe ends. Once completed, lube the oring & be sure its seated properly then connect & tighten the union. Afterwards you just need to unscrew it to get the pipe apart for maintenance/equipment changes etc.
IMG_6772.jpeg
Here’s what I have (I have alot of hoses so my unions aren’t in all the locations yours will be)
You want them in the areas I’m pointing to
IMG_6771.jpeg
You can see my union between the pump & filter
IMG_6769.jpeg
I have others near my returns so I can remove the pipes for winter
IMG_6770.jpeg
Some of mine are ball valves with a union on one side

I am not sure I understand your question.
You would make a cut where you want a union to be then make another cut to allow for the space taken up by the inside of the union (you’ll need to measure the one you have).
Then you put the collar on the correct side of the cut pipe & glue the two “slip” parts of the union to the corresponding pipe ends. Once completed, lube the oring & be sure its seated properly then connect & tighten the union. Afterwards you just need to unscrew it to get the pipe apart for maintenance/equipment changes etc.
View attachment 511346
Here’s what I have (I have alot of hoses so my unions aren’t in all the locations yours will be)
You want them in the areas I’m pointing to
View attachment 511347
You can see my union between the pump & filter
View attachment 511348
I have others near my returns so I can remove the pipes for winter
View attachment 511353
Some of mine are ball valves with a union on one side
YOU ARE AMAZING, this is exactly what I was asking! Thank you so much!

Reactions: Pauls234
YOU ARE AMAZING, this is exactly what I was asking! Thank you so much!
You may be done already but to confirm- you put the female threaded collar on the pipe first then glue the non threaded “slip” piece on-
the other slip piece with the threaded male end goes on the other side of the pipe.
There are several YouTube videos about this but they’re long & i didn’t have time earlier to find a good one.
If you aren’t finished & want more guidance post some pics of your setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.