HELP!! Need Opinion on shape

I love PoolBrews idea (straight on one side). I like the freeform for your yard based on what you laid out. My .02 is to have the pool as close to the rear property line as you're allowed. 2 reasons based on my experience. 1 - my main reason) The pool will divide your yard and in usable and not-used space. So anything on the far side of the pool won't be used much (except for any decking you put down). 2) a pool only 10 feet from a house is very close and if you have a second story with windows that open, it's very tempting for silly teenagers to think they can make the jump into the pool. Unlikely but something to think about. I know someone who tried to make such a jump and he broke both arms. It's usually the friends who think of / do the silly things around the pool in my experience. Either one is going to be awesome!

Reactions: Newdude
The pool will divide your yard and in usable and not-used space. So anything on the far side of the pool won't be used much
+1, And will be the perfect spot for landscaping because if the space is just sitting there unused, it might as well be pretty. The wasted space instantly becomes a focal point/ accent area

Reactions: Nectarologist
I had to stop my husband and his brother from trying to get onto of the pool house and jumping from it into the 52" pool :crazy: MEN! They had the ladder all set up when I found them :roll: REALLY?? sigh............go put it up and behave!

Please tell Mr Kats that you shared this story and I said ‘Dilly Dilly’. He will understand the code.

The pool will divide your yard and in usable and not-used space. So anything on the far side of the pool won't be used much
+2 on this. Consider the entire yard and how you will use it after the pool. I would second pushing it back to the rear setback. Think about future patio, sport court, bbq, etc...

Also recommend looking at equipment location and where your utilities are coming from. The plan shows septic. If that’s still accurate, you will have a setback from tank or leach field. Local building Dept or health Dept will have that info.

Finally, consider access from the house and sight lines from the interior.

Either shape works, boils down to personal preference. We have had freeform, oasis and rectangle. Currently building a rectangle as the new yard favors that design.

This is a very common misconception that I find with all my friends with shaped pools. They consider the outward curves as ‘more space’ when in reality the inward curves take it away. Forgive my horrible renditions, but I drew an example. Let’s assume the furthest outside measurements are 20x40View attachment 128042
My shaped friends think in their heads about a rectangle that would fit inside their pool like this but it’s not apples to apples because their pool is considered a 20x40 and that rectangle is a 16x32(? ish). Like this.
View attachment 128043
In this case, then yes your 20x40 needs a bigger cover and has ‘more room’ than a 16x32.

I didn't say it had more room, just that it needed a bigger cover then it would otherwise, for example if all the lines were straight. However because of the curves, the cover needs to be curved as well, and that may mean cutting the curves out of a larger cover, even though the pool is 4.5m wide, you need a 6m wide cover. And while computing the volume of a 4,5x9m pool is easy, depth goes from 1m to 3m so 4,5x9x2 = 81 m3, and volume is even easier as there is 1,000L in one m3; the kidney shaped pool is much harder to measure. Also because of that you lose some yard space as well, for the pool shape.

If I were building a pool it would likely be a rectangle, maybe with those curved corners, I like that....

However because of the curves, the cover needs to be curved as well, and that may mean cutting the curves out of a larger cover,
If the outside edges of both the curved pool, and the rectangle pool were at the same place, they would both have the same (2ft ?) overhang from that edge where they intersect, no ? I think the curved pool cover, just like the curved pool just look bigger. Now the price is certainly more due to the custom edge the whole way around.
If I were building a pool it would likely be a rectangle, maybe with those curved corners, I like that
They have certainly been a hit in this thread. I don't disagree.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the outside edges of both the curved pool, and the rectangle pool were at the same place, they would both have the same (2ft ?) overhang from that edge where they intersect, no ? I think the curved pool cover, just like the curved pool just look bigger. Now the price is certainly more due to the custom edge the whole way around.

They have certainly been a hit in this thread. I don't disagree.
Yes, however you need to consider that the overhang is partly on each side, so to get a cover that fits, your either cutting from a larger piece, for example if your pool is 16' wide, and your overhang on both sides is 2' you need to start with a 20' wide piece of material. Let me explain this way, the cover is 16' wide, the reel it fits on is 16' wide, but you need to fold over a 2' section at the middle for it to fit properly on the reel, because the reel can not bend to fit the curves. The pool volume may be the same as a rectangle, but the cover isn't if you want it to sit on top of the water. Like I said, I can't show a picture of the pool from above, because the yard with the pool in it, is one big blanket of snow....

The pool volume may be the same as a rectangle, but the cover isn't if you want it to sit on top of the water
Again, it’s all how you look at it. :)A71E074B-9A30-45D4-ACD9-9D17E4821079.png
If the kidney pool fits in the red rectangle, then the solar or winter cover are the same size for rectangle and kidney. The overhang where they intersect is the same (2ft bigger on all sides of the red) and some of the white area is scrap/cut off for the kidney cover.
But most people somehow use the width 2 as their baseline so width 1 becomes all the extra in their head. Its the extra part they have to swim in, It’s the part that doesn’t fit on the solar reel and extra winter cover that they have to buy.
It’s kind of 6 or a half dozen of you skew the part you use to square off the pool, but it still no more extra than the rectangle pool, if the red line is the rectangle pool. (Again please forgive the sloppiness, can’t draw for squat).

91227A51-1B52-452D-A60D-BD4F5B53147D.png

I had to stop my husband and his brother from trying to get onto of the pool house and jumping from it into the 52" pool :crazy: MEN! They had the ladder all set up when I found them :roll: REALLY?? sigh............go put it up and behave!
Oh no! Good thing you found them and yes, your're right it's us boys. I don't think i could ever think of a scenario where my girls would do that but my son (or a friend) would at least think of it.

Rectangles if there is enough space and design makes sense. Curved corners or freeform work great with slightly limited space because they don't create bottlenecks walking around the "corners". That would be the logic for my choice. And yes, consider the whole backyard picture.

Gratuitous use of imagery follows. 18'x38. I mostly just wanted to see my pool that has been covered 4 months. My feet on the other hand, I see every day, so no excuse there.

I will always take "straight lines" over curves. Looks cleaner and more modern IMO. We also had limited space (those darn setbacks!), so we chose to utilize our side yard and get a not too small, not too big modified rectangular pool. HOA/City gave us the run-around on the wood deck over the easement, but they eventually "approved" it.

That is a fantastic looking solution to a space issue!!

Reactions: Gladius Nova

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.