Help my Pentair pumps leaking!!!

beachinmoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
I have a 1 yr old Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST. I noticed it's quite damp around the pad so I went to take a closer look. Let's see if I can post a video here.
Can someone tell me why it would be leaking? And what this white stuff is? Chlorine? And what to do.

I have a 1 yr old Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST. I noticed it's quite damp around the pad so I went to take a closer look. Let's see if I can post a video here.
Can someone tell me why it would be leaking? And what this white stuff is? Chlorine? And what to do.

Okay, it must be the shaft. I did have problem getting my pump to prime once and I paid a guy to come out and fix it. He literally spent 15 minutes there. Charged me for an hour and told me I need to plug one of the pipes. Don't you think if they charge you for an hour they should fix that sort of thing of thing too?

So, now, will Pentair take care if this under warranty! Do I need to get a plug in it first? It hasn't lost prime sense then. I'm was right after I had cleaned the filters and I was trying to release the valve to get the water in, I had filled out he pump as well, but the air valve broke. That's what I had the guy fix when he came out.
I just know Pentair will do anything they can to get out of fixing this. Ideas? Please???

How old is the pump, looks older in the pictures so probably out of warranty.
The expert folks here can probably comment on how hard of a fix that is. Or if its time for a new energy efficient pump.

Can you post a picture of every label from the pump and motor?

What was the date of installation?

Was the pump installed as part of a new pool installation or was it a replacement pump?

Who installed the pump?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it was installed by a pool professional and it truly is only 2 years old, then it should be covered under warranty. The original installer may be required to repair it - Pentair can be funny (not "ha-ha") about warranty repairs.

A seal leak within 3 years is usually the result of the pump running dry.

So, it's going to be an opinion call on whether or not the seal failure is due to user error or defective materials and construction.

If the seal failure is deemed to be from running dry, it will probably be denied warranty coverage.

Running dry generates a lot of heat, which can cause detectable damage.

In addition, there is additional damage due to the leak being allowed to exist for an extended period of time.

The motor is corroded and the seal plate, bearings and other things might be damaged as well.

It's the owner's duty to mitigate damage from a leak by addressing it in a timely manner.

Even if the seal is covered under warranty, the additional damage might not be due to lack of due diligence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.