Help! My Pentair 180 valve has sprung a leak

BasicTek

Bronze Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
I had my solar installed in 2016 so everything except the panels is out of warranty. The solar company has actually been bought so technically doesn't exist. I'm not sure where to turn to get this issue resolved.

When my solar is on this valve electronically will push the water toward the top (to solar panels) and it doesn't leak
When my solar is off (much more common as the temps get higher) then this electronically bypasses the solar panels and water pours out of the middle of the valve.
I'll removed the top part (4 screws) and can see the "gear" that is uses to turn the valve. The water seems to be coming out of this gear. I verified all screws below and above were very tight and it had no effect on the leak, apparently something has broken and this appears to need to be replaced.

I've found the part (CVA-24T) seems to run between $100 and $150. I have no experience with plumbing my pool so I'd like to get any input on what it takes to replace this.

A) based on the description can this leak be repaired or does this part need to be replaced
B) Does replacing the part involve replacing the 3 way valve in the plumbing
C) I see the electric coming out of the valve going to my pentair controller, is there any complicated wiring or programming that needs to be done? I have a pentair solartouch controller this connects to.

Thanks in advance!

The acuator is not the issue. The valve is leaking. Remove the actuator to repair the valve.

Correct. You should be able to order a valve rebuild kit.
Call Inyopools and they can help you out.

I was actually able to take it apart, re-seat the rubber washers and it's currently not leaking anymore in either direction. Whew, thought this was going to be expensive, even if I just have to replace the plastic parts it shouldn't be that much. Thanks a ton!

Great. I would get replacement parts on order. Not likely what you did will last that long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone I put in the new O-rings today and the leak is now fixed for the astonishing price of $7 which included 4 rebuild kits (a 4 pack was the same price on amazon as a single) and a tube of lube. I thought I was going to be paying $$$ big bucks if I called leak repair or a solar company. Thanks to TFP $7, and I can fix it 3 more times lol, that's crazy!

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.