Help me with my Pool Equipment

Just so you know the forum has standardized on the the Taylor test kits. They are easy to find and purchase and in particular the ones from TFTest kits because they modify the amount of reagents to better match the tests most people run. And the prices are competitive. It provides a common foundation for discussing chemistry for dolling out advice. If you are using a different test methodology it brings some variability into the discussion should you ask questions about your pool chemistry.. just sayin'.

Just so you know the forum has standardized on the the Taylor test kits. They are easy to find and purchase and in particular the ones from TFTest kits because they modify the amount of reagents to better match the tests most people run. And the prices are competitive. It provides a common foundation for discussing chemistry for dolling out advice. If you are using a different test methodology it brings some variability into the discussion should you ask questions about your pool chemistry.. just sayin'.
It's a fair point, standardizing on a test makes for a better conversation in a group. In fact I think that is an excellent point. Maybe enough to sway me despite my inherent bias towards digitizing these types of things.

Strong points, especially the one about being able to communicate effectively when everyone follows the same process. I'll order the tf-100 test kit.

It's a bit of personal defeat, I have most of my home automated with digital sensors, software controlled light switches and outlets. I would have loved to tie in these sensors to my system so I can just ask Alexa for today's pool chemistry or more likely alert me with a text message if a number exceeds a treshold.

Strong points, especially the one about being able to communicate effectively when everyone follows the same process. I'll order the tf-100 test kit.

It's a bit of personal defeat, I have most of my home automated with digital sensors, software controlled light switches and outlets. I would have loved to tie in these sensors to my system so I can just ask Alexa for today's pool chemistry or more likely alert me with a text message if a number exceeds a treshold.
And you still can.. there is a whole group of members that are DIYing their own automation designs. Some are pretty creative. And I know others that do different testing for their own purposes. But for the purpose of chitty chatting about your pool chem here, we all need to be on the same standard. Just like any other industry that needs to be on a common standard.

Looks like you have done quite a bit to identify what does what on your pool equipment.

Edit: this is one of my favorite threads for DIY pool automation. He even wrote his own smartphone user interface
My NEW Pool Automation Controller

Last edited:
Reactions: MyAZPool
I read the entire thread. Thanks for posting it.

The solution the author went down is extremely similar to a beer brewery automation I built for my friends brewery. At the time I was thinking that a half dozen sensors, a couple of pump controllers, a couple of ssr's managing heating elements via a pid algorithm would be the right way to go. I also started with an Arduino style micro processor but I had a processor with 128 input/output pins. A bunch of lights and lcd outputs for rpm display and temp displays on a process electrical panel. A couple off override switches. Rotary dials for input.

Worked well but I would not do another project in that form factor the same way. There is a point when running code in a big giant main loop becomes spaghetti and unmanageable. I implemented a user mode thread library but the Arduino has so little memory that it's hard to write meaningfully sized threaded code without running out of memory. Maybe things have changed this year, it was a few years ago that I built that system.

But I really like that project in the link. Really cool! I like the serialization over a web service, it seems smart to make messaging between user interface and control system asynchronous.

Read here about the limitations of the Lamotte SpinTouch
It was a good read, I read the links as well. Since the instrument is certified I went and read the standards under which it is certified. It's hard to find exact details about the nsf 50 level 1 but I found a non protected presentation from them. The highest level of accuracy in the standard according to the slides I found is -+5%. That is a pretty big swing imho. I was thinking they would deliver within1% accuracy.

I ordered the TF100 test kit. Fast order, got an email after just a few minutes of ordering with tracking number for 2 day delivery. Pretty impressive.

I had the pool company come by and check the actuators this morning. They confirmed what you guys have been saying, one of the actuators is broken.
It will be replaced tomorrow.
Thanks for diagnosing, if you wouldn't have told me i would never have known! This community is pretty awesome!

Saturday night in my backyard. I have infrared heat built into the ceiling over the seats so that even though it got a bit
chilly in the evening it was comfortable outside. I wanted to run the spa with heat for a dip, but until the actuator is
replaced i couldn't do it. Pool temp is 75 right now thanks to the nice weather in the past two weeks.

AIMG_20200502_202424-2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know how much they cost (yet). I just turned them on for the first time this weekend. I am going to get solar to reduce my electrical bill though.

The dog is (was) Juno my lovely little boxer. She succumbed to cancer after 6 months of chemo about a month ago. She was a sweetheart.
Now i have walter, a older rescue that been with me for 9 months. He is a mellow older dog who loves people, food and sunshine.
We will see what we get next, i'm active with a couple of dog rescues here in California. I took this pic at one of the vet visits.
20130830_132850.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.