Help me wire my timer please.

Hhhmmmm,.. I’m not sure how to proceed. Everything ran smoothly all last summer,. And until today this season. I’m not sure how to diagnose the problem.
Many times it is not the wiring itself that causes a fire like this, but the installation, especially with stranded wire. The connections have to be very tight and stranded wire is not the best for that without a terminal end. When a connection gets loose there is more resistance to electrical flow or arcing, which just builds on itself and you get a fire. Mixing stranded with solid at the same connection point is another issue as the terminal will tighten on the solid and may not be as tight on the stranded wire resulting in electrical arc. I have replaced many timers with the same damage you have because of a mix of wire types. There are ways to do it, but most people don't know, or perhaps care, enough to do it right. You really need to get in touch with a licensed pool service that knows how to do these types of installations correctly. Most regular electricians have no idea how to wire pool equipment and can even be dangerous. I don't wire houses, they shouldn't wire pools.

Reactions: JeaniB
So,.. I’m sure this will be silly to you all,..but this is what I’m hearing,. Instead of the three wires coated into one large wire,. I need to buy three individual wires, then place then inside conduit so they are just one large wire🙃😩🙃

So,.. I’m sure this will be silly to you all,..but this is what I’m hearing,. Instead of the three wires coated into one large wire,. I need to buy three individual wires, then place then inside conduit so they are just one large wire🙃😩🙃

Yes, because the individual solid wires inside a conduit are better protected from moisture or damage when being outside.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Southwire's THHN and THWN is a multi-purpose building wire used in conduit and cable trays for service, feeders and branch circuits in commercial and industrial applications. It is also used as a conductor in NM-B, UF-B, SER, SEU and MC.

It comes in different colors. Get black, white and green. Wire will cost you $25 x 3.

Yes, because the individual solid wires inside a conduit are better protected from moisture or damage when being outside.
Also, three separate conductors (wires) in conduit dissipate heat (the enemy) better than three conductors tightly wrapped into a single jacket. Running a motor for the times that pool pumps are used generates a lot of heat in the conductors. Heat builds electrical resistance. Jacketed wire should never be run in conduit for this reason, heat buildup. The safest and most long-lasting thing you can do is use individual conductors in conduit.

Also, three separate conductors (wires) in conduit dissipate heat (the enemy) better than three conductors tightly wrapped into a single jacket. Running a motor for the times that pool pumps are used generates a lot of heat in the conductors. Heat builds electrical resistance. Jacketed wire should never be run in conduit for this reason, heat buildup. The safest and most long-lasting thing you can do is use individual conductors in conduit.
I can put all three wires in the same conduit though, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I missed all this, so sorry.. I am very happy everyone has you on the right track.. The wire and the way they have you running it is the correct way to do it.. :)

Update
After further investigation, I think I may be in way over my head with this electrical stuff. I haven’t been able to get a pool company to even call me back, so this may take some time.
So, my CB is not GFCI, the 20A breaker goes to an outside GFCI receptacle that did trip when the fire started. I have no idea about the amps of the receptacle, the timer is 40A, I have ordered the new timer, three spools of solid 12g wire, conduit, and a new GFCI outside receptacle. My concern is about the amp of the receptacle and the 20 amp breaker😩😩
So, until I can get an electrician/pool person out here, how am I gonna run my pump and keep my pool from turning green?

Update
After further investigation, I think I may be in way over my head with this electrical stuff. I haven’t been able to get a pool company to even call me back, so this may take some time.
So, my CB is not GFCI, the 20A breaker goes to an outside GFCI receptacle that did trip when the fire started. I have no idea about the amps of the receptacle, the timer is 40A, I have ordered the new timer, three spools of solid 12g wire, conduit, and a new GFCI outside receptacle. My concern is about the amp of the receptacle and the 20 amp breaker😩😩
So, until I can get an electrician/pool person out here, how am I gonna run my pump and keep my pool from turning green?
Try looking up "pool service associations" online.
There should be a chapter of one in your area and they may be able to provide a lead. It may be difficult.
Unfortunately, most insurance that pool companies have exclude above-ground pools from coverage and companies won't accept the liability on their own. Sad, but true.

My concern is about the amp of the receptacle and the 20 amp breaker😩😩

You can identify a 20 amp receptacle by the horizontal slot on the left hand opening.

15 amp receptacles do not have the horizontal slot, just two vertical openings.

A 20 amp CB should have 12 AWG wires and 20 amp receptacles.

The slot or absence of the slot indicates to users of the outlet if the circuit is 15 amps or 20 amps.

1650390463462.png

Thank you @ajw22
So, yes my receptacle is 20amp.
I guess my real question then is, does everything need to be 40 amp? Do I need to replace the breaker? That is where this is above my pay scale 🙃🙃

Thank you @ajw22
So, yes my receptacle is 20amp.
I guess my real question then is, does everything need to be 40 amp? Do I need to replace the breaker? That is where this is above my pay scale 🙃🙃

Why do you think things need to be 40 amps?

Your pump + swg is less then 20 amps.

my timer is 40a,.. is that irrelevant?
I was using the receptacle because my breaker is not GFCI, if I run the timer to my CB and bypass the receptacle, then I assume I would need to install a GFCI breaker. Replacing the breaker is where I check out.
I appreciate the time you are spending with me,. I’m sure this is tedious for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.