easy-e

Feb 20, 2018
Monmouth County, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I want to understand how my pool works a little better. I understand the very basics but I guess I want to get a deeper understanding so I can address issues myself.

I've included a picture of my equipment below along with a photo I've labeled for ease of reference.

Let me know how wrong I am

A & B - intake from the 2 skimmers
C - Valve to shut off sunction to skimmers. Not sure when to use this. When cleaning them? Should pump be off then?
D - No idea
E - Shot in the dark, intake from the main drain? Worth noting that the pool apparently does have a main drain return option, for what it's worth.
F - I know this is the pump (give me some credit). What is the purpose of this viewer? I see some junk spinning around in there, I assume this stuff that gets past the skimmer. I believe I need to shut off pump and relieve pressure to clean this out? Any other purpose for this point of access?
G - I understand how this control works, but i'm not clear what this specific drain is for. The backwash is to the left (white), right?
H - controls hot water back to the pool via J, which is labeled return?
I - labeled hot water. But I am confused as to whether this is where hot water is returned vs J (below)
J - Returns water to pool after heating?

So, if pump and heater are running, my understanding is water comes in through A, B and E, through D and F, into filter (past E and G) which then sends water into the heater (left pipe), heated water comes out, passing through H, J (and I?) on their way back to the pool. But the way E and I are connected throws me off. I assume it seems like water coming and going would be meeting? Does this have something to do with main drain return?

Attachments

• PXL_20220412_214558355.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220412_214558355.MP.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220412_215355176.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220412_215355176.MP.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20220421_124820142.jpg
    PXL_20220421_124820142.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220421_124846553.jpg
    PXL_20220421_124846553.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 13
E,

Do you have a Spa???

In your pic both skimmers (A and B) are shut off, something you don't really want to do.

The clear lid to the pump basket is so you can inspect it for debris and allows you to know what to clean it.

You have some kind of "Deep Heating" set up that allows you to push hot water from your heater down and out your main drain. So, your main drain can either be used by the pump as a source of pool water, or by the heater as a way to send hot water back to the pool. Obviously, it can't do both at the same time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

Do you have a Spa???

In your pic both skimmers (A and B) are shut off, something you don't really want to do.

The clear lid to the pump basket is so you can inspect it for debris and allows you to know what to clean it.

You have some kind of "Deep Heating" set up that allows you to push hot water from your heater down and out your main drain. So, your main drain can either be used by the pump as a source of pool water, or by the heater as a way to send hot water back to the pool. Obviously, it can't do both at the same time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim:

I do not have a spa. I believe the prior homeowner did but it was removed long before we bought the house a few months ago.

I will check the skimmers again. It seemed like they were pulled but I will check again.

As for the "deep heating" - is the control for that what is directly above "I" ?

Edit: just went and looked at my equipment. I think I took that picture before the pool was opened. The control for the skimmers is set to the opposite direction and it appears to be working.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
E,

To use the deep heat you would have to use valve D to shut off the main drain pipe and open the unmarked valve (above the I) to allow water to go down to the main drain.

My opinion is that the idea of "deep heat" is more marketing than it is anything else. If it works at all, I doubt it make enough difference to even notice.

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

To use the deep heat you would have to use valve D to shut off the main drain pipe and open the unmarked valve (above the I) to allow water to go down to the main drain.

My opinion is that the idea of "deep heat" is more marketing than it is anything else. If it works at all, I doubt it make enough difference to even notice.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah, makes sense. The guy who opened the pool basically said the same thing. He said I would probably never use it and it was kind of a gimmick.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.